A Chinese virologist claimed the coronavirus was 'intentionally' released. Turns out, she works for

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FryDaddyJr, Sep 18, 2020.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

• A group of Chinese virologists released a strange new paper on Monday that claims the new coronavirus was engineered in a Chinese lab.

• One of the virologists, Li-Meng Yan, told the Fox News host Tucker Carlson it was a "man-made virus" that the Chinese government released "intentionally."

• Yan and her coauthors work for groups cofounded by the former Trump strategist Steve Bannon. He directed the groups before his arrest in August.

• Some members of the Trump administration have pushed a fringe theory that the virus accidentally leaked from a lab in Wuhan, China, but there's no evidence of this.
    A strange new paper claiming the coronavirus was a "laboratory product" quietly made its way into a repository of preliminary research on Monday.

"The laboratory creation of this coronavirus is convenient and can be accomplished in approximately six months," the paper's authors, four Chinese virologists who fled to the US earlier this year, wrote.

Li-Meng Yan, the lead author, went a step further in a Tuesday interview with the Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

She told Carlson that her government had "intentionally" released the "man-made virus" — comments that echoed a fringe conspiracy theory that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and President Donald Trump alluded to in May.
    But a closer look at Yan and her coauthors' work shows they're affiliated with a pair of nonprofits based in New York City, the Rule of Law Society and the Rule of Law Foundation, that were led by the former Trump strategist Steve Bannon before his arrest in August.

Neither organization has any history of publishing scientific or medical research, and the new paper has not been peer-reviewed by other scientists.

Most experts think the coronavirus originated in bats before jumping to people; one study found that it shared 96% of its genetic code with coronaviruses circulating in Chinese bat populations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinese-virologist-claimed-coronavirus-intentionally-150200793.html

2. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

I'd like to point out that Zenodo isn't a place of publication. It's an open access database that anyone (even you whoever is reading this) can upload a document that looks like a scientific paper.

There is no peer review or any of the usual checks on science necessary to put a paper on here. Anything read there should be taken with a grain of salt.

3. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

It’s good to know that you fellows are ready to support the Chinese Communist Party no matter what it does. You don’t even want to examine the issue further. My position remains speculative waiting for more evidence.

Of course, you guys would like to impose the Chinese Communist form of government upon us with just enough capitalism to keep the Communist Government afloat, even if it results in billionaires. You have a bunch of billionaires supporting Biden, like Bill Gates and Michael Bloomberg, who are looking to expand their markets in Communist China so that they will get richer. It’s been called “billionaires and Bolsheviks.” The Bolsheviks are Bernie Sanders and AOC among others,

4. GeneWright

I mean, tons of scientists worldwide have published peer reviewed work on how it developed naturally vs. this one person essentially uploading a manuscript looking document to facebook saying it was created in a lab... Not a tough choice. Sure I'm open to it if evidence were to come out, but that's how science works. You're supposed to change your position based on well scrutinized work, and there just isn't any of that supporting the theory it was created by the Chinese military or any person.

5. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

Science has been allied with politics, just like everything else, under your brand of politics.

6. FryDaddyJr

BiLl GaTeS VaXseEn-Chip TrakeRz-5G~

6 FeEt MiLiTaRy PrOtOcOl-TemP Scanned-ChInAViRuS!

7. GeneWright

Isn't it weird how facts keep favoring liberal viewpoints?

8. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

That’s your opinion based on the bias that you learned in college.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  9. GeneWright

Rejection of science as no better than opinion is truly the pinnacle of orwellian indocatornation. I'm truly sorry you've been conditioned to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. This country has failed you.

10. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

Ditto for you.

GeneWright likes this.
  11. GeneWright

In a strange and messed up way, I kind of appreciate your stubbornness. I'll leave it at this for now, have a good weekend!

12. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

When I was in my twenties, I would have been with you. Then I changed my mind based upon the facts. Maybe you will learn the truth eventually.

It should be easier now. Back in my day, Teddy Kennedy and George McGovern were the far left. Now it’s AOC, the anti-Semitic Omar and Talibe, which should make your choice more obvious.

13. FryDaddyJr

Anti Zionist doesn't equal Anti Semitic. This shouldn't need to be explained to an adult.

14. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

You stepped into a bear trap on that one.

I still recall the UN resolution where they decided that "Zionism is racism." I am sure that you agree. That resolution, which is headed by Fidel Castro, when he was heading up the "non-aligned nations coalition” (What a joke it was for Castro to say that he was “non-aligned.”), cost the UN a lot of support.

That statement will cost you support among Jewish Democrats.

15. FryDaddyJr

depends on whether or not you consider Palestinians human beings then I guess

16. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

I am sure that if you were living in the area where they are shooting missiles in your direction, that your perspective might be different. Of course, if your ethic background is Palestinian, you hate Jewish people because it’s in your DNA.

The Palestinians have had many opportunities to make peace with Israel and get on with the business of earning a living and getting along with their neighbors. They blown them all because of poor leadership and funding from Hezbollah and Al Qaeda.

Your previous posts indicate that you are anti-Semitic, which has become an unfortunate movement within the Democratic Party. Taking the anti-Semitic position is not that different from disliking Black people because of their race. If you want to go in that direction, go ahead. Just be aware that you will be no better than some of the other hate groups

17. GeneWright

Now that, straight up is racist. Islamaphobic? Something.
    Would you be upset if a powerful nation, let's say China, decided that due to the atrocities we committed on the native people here they get half the states we currently have? And then on top of that, China arms them to the teeth to drive Americans out of those areas? All the while using that land as a foothold in the region to exert their influence. That's exactly what we've done. It's not hard to understand why the Palestinians are upset.

But actually as a side note I'm not opposed to giving more land back to tribes, especially where cultural heritage sites exist.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  18. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

No it isn't. It straight up truth. If you don't like Israel, that's consistent with the radical leaders of your party. Obama didn't have any respect for them.

Once again, that college fried brain of yours can see only one side.

Did the U.S. mistreat the Indians? Yes, but there were some atrocities on both sides. At any rate there was zero chance that the Indians were going to be able to continue their nomadic way of life after the White man landed. Do you suggest that the Whites just should have left the Americas alone and ignored them? Do you think that would have been possible?

The Indians had to adapt to survive. The same goes for the Palestinians. Some Indians, like the Cherokees were headed in that direction, but President Andrew Jackson decided to rob them of their land any way, first for farming and then for gold. I acknowledge that. What are you going to? Shoot the great-great grandsons for the sins of their fathers?

As to the Chinese, you seem to think that they are some sort of paragons of virtue when it comes to THEIR ethnic groups. The truth is 80% of the population is Han and they are looking to subdue and subjugate the other 20%. Have you heard of what happened the Tibetans? Who about the Weigers who now forced to concentration camps and subjected to slave labor? Is forced sterilization okay by you?

19. GeneWright

"Not racist" but still calls native people "Indians" in 2020.

To clarify, I hold mostly contempt for China and especially their practices currently. I simply chose them as an example for the analogy because they're a relatively powerful country we're not necessarily aligned with. I'm well aware of their current atrocities.

No, that would be wrong. Just like it was wrong when the world did exactly that to the Palestinians. They'd occupied that land for nearly 500 years.

20. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

And the Jewish people claim the same thing, only loner. The solution is to find ways to get along and get the religious hatred out of the equation.

Everyone could make a decent living in the Middle East if they could set aside the religious differences. That was the positive thing that has come out of the recent accords. You poo-poo it as if it's nothing. The "great satans" in the Middle east are radical Muslim doctrines and tin horned dictators, like Assad, who use religious hatreds to prop up their corrupt regimes. They have done it for decades.