A Monday Observation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mopar Dude, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Active Member

There are some well educated folks here that can cite polls and data that I cannot. I am more of a fellow that draws his conclusions from observation. People tend to show their own value systems in time. The following observation is based upon a great deal of assumption and I just put it out there because I believe this illustrates a lot of what is wrong right now.

I just returned from my eye doctor. The most expeditious route back to my office is through a low rent neighborhood and it was there that I made this observation. I didn't photograph the scene so allow me to elaborate.

Small house in need of repair. In the front yard is a "Biden 2020" sign. Also in the front yard are four younger men sitting around a barrel that is burning that I would assume for heat as the temperatures have finally dropped here. It is mid-morning Monday and all four men are enjoying beverages that I find to be more appropriate to the evening hours...... This was my observation as I drove by that got me to thinking.

First observation is the Biden 2020 sign. I found it odd that no political affiliation were attached to the campaign sign. Could it be the democratic party stirred up so much noise of late that a candidate may find it more advantageous to decline to note his party affiliation?

Second observation is the scene of four young men consuming alcohol around a barrel fire on a Monday morning. I suppose it may have been their day off, however I doubt it. Granted I am speaking entirely from assumption here. I rather had the feel this was daily routine for these young men. Their front yard happened to be the first yard that I have seen any presidential campaign sign posted and I applaud the effort, but what genuinely do these young men hope to gain from a democratic president? Are they truly down and out on their luck? Or do they expect to be compensated by the democratic party the next four years while they consume adult beverages in their front yard the next four years?

See, I cannot cite polls and data. And further, I am a man of action. I do put my money where my mouth is. I help folks out on their luck through my church because I am fully aware that could just as easily be me. I am a strong supporter of helping a man back on his feet. It's just that the part of my aged brain that still has some active brain cells tells me that my tax dollars will be supporting Monday morning drinking parties more so than helping a man on his feet if we do elect a democratic leader....... And again, I acknowledge that all of this is based upon assumption after assumption on my part. But then I wasn't born yesterday either.....

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

A wise professor friend of mine likes to say, "Replace judgement with curiously." He mostly says this about people visiting other cultures but I think it has a wider meaning in so many contexts. Sometimes we are so focused on the visual cues we expect to see, that we neglect the more subtle cues that are just as informative and valid. It is sometimes easy to view other social classes as if they were a completely different culture. They may speak the same language, watch the same TV shows, and frequent the same restaurants as the social class you see yourself in but seem like they come from a thousand miles away. I guess the point is that the values of one social class can't not be judged through the eyes of another just like you can't judge another culture through the eyes of your own culture. Curiosity is just the best guide in these situations.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  3. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Active Member

Yea, Joe, I know that you had a lot of curiosity about Trump before you decided to hate him. I know that you put a lot of time into that decision before you came to your current conclusions.

Yea Right ...

As for the observation about the lack of a political party affiliation named on the sign, that is true for most political advertising. Most candidates try to sell their name first, to make their name familiar to the voters, and then they get into the issues.

It might surprise some, but mere name recognition is important when it comes to winning elections. Many people have no idea who is running when they get in the voting booth. When they see a name that’s familiar, they tend to vote for it. That is one of the advantages that incumbents have over challengers.

Back in 1970, when I was working for a Congressional candidate, there was Senatorial candidate who was running the same year. He had been the Democratic leader in the state legislature, and was looking to move up against Delaware Senator, Bill Roth. His campaign theme was black and yellow signs with the slogan “Jake Zimmerman … THE DEMOCRATE” As a long time collector of political items, I can tell this is quite unusual. Candidates usually avoid mentioning their party affiliation or they do it in a muted way.

When I asked him why he used that slogan, his answer was, “It tested better in our polling.” Roth trounced him in the election, which was not unusual. Roth was a rather unbeatable candidate in Delaware politics. He was one the first to learn that sending franked poll messages to the votes was an effective way of getting your name out there. He first did it when he was in the House of Representatives starting in 1967.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Mopar Dude likes this.
  4. JoeNation
    Angelic

**Sigh** :oops: For someone the "knows" so much, you sure don't seem to know a damn thing. Just attack first and argue the rest of the time. Nothing to learn here. o_O

5. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Active Member

When it comes to politics, Joe, you are I are as flexible as steel girders. I am a moderate to the right, and you are far left. I’ve read your opinions on capitalism, Joe, and you like posted some time ago, you don’t anything about economics or how an economy works.

You think that it can be regulated from the top down. If only you could, but you would end up with a mess like Cuba and the old Soviet Russia.

6. JoeNation
    Angelic

And the arguing begins.