Alec Baldwin charged

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SmalltownMN, Jan 19, 2023.

1. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN Active Member

Robert Ransom, Andy and Mopar Dude like this.
  2. What U ignore

What U ignore Well-Known Member

The American Justice system is clogged up. No such thing as a speedy trial anymore. Then, when found guilty all the appeals go on for years. :(

Robert Ransom and SmalltownMN like this.
  3. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Sometimes bad karma does come back to haunt you.... It is such a sad, sad story, but arrogance can only carry a person so far before it comes back to haunt them.

4. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

There's only one way Baldwin could have hit Hutchins, and that was if he pointed the gun in her direction.

Here's what I learned early, and never forgot. Never point a gun at anyone . . . ever . . . unless you intend to shoot them.

Stupid is as stupid does, and Alec Baldwin is exactly that . . . Stupid in caps.

I'll hold my breath while waitin' for Long Rifle's reply . . . :rolleyes:

5. What U ignore

What U ignore Well-Known Member

I think someone brought live ammo to the set just to get him. I don't think whomever it was intended him to kill anyone. Just scare the heck out of them due to the sloppy mistakes he was making and getting some of the crew mad.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

I'm still confused still on why they use real guns at all. A replica incapable of firing is just as good. Most real guns are probably touched up with CGI in post anyway.

7. toughcoins

There's more to it than you think, and the work they'd have to do in CGI to make it realistic is far more expensive than the real thing.

8. GeneWright

I suppose, but so little about Hollywood movies are generally realistic anyway. What's wrong with stylized?

9. toughcoins

Unless a movie is intended to be unrealistic throughout, it gets distracting if certain scenes stick out as being insufficiently realistic.

Think of the number of times you've fired or seen guns fired in real life, and visualize the kick or recoil, and how the human body absorbs that energy. If you just fake it with a replica and leave it to editing to add sound alone, you lose that visual body dynamic from the film, and that's a pretty tough thing to edit back in.

I might be pretty unimpressed with a film which was realistically rendered up to that point and then fell flat in a scene where such a corner was cut. I don't know that studios want to take that chance.

10. GeneWright

Not anymore, and it's not sound alone.
    ckpget8cin931.jpg
    Visuals have come so far that we no longer even need actors to bear their own likeness anymore. In the recent movie Gemini Man, Will Smith meets a younger version of himself (time travel I think, didn't see the movie). Both characters are played by Will Smith.

uf1.jpg

The point being we're quickly entering the era where you won't know the difference anymore. Most movies these days are use at least some CGI for backgrounds and props

11. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC T R U M P - 2 0 2 4

My opinion is that Alec Baldwin certainly didn't mean to kill the girl. But, he DID kill her. Now, it has to be decided whether he was negligent or not. He was also one of the producers which means that he should have had a tighter rein on what was happening on the set. I've heard that cost-cutting measures were being implemented and it might have had something to do with why the gun wasn't properly checked. I suppose that will be up to a jury to decide.

Regardless, Alec Baldwin is still an -edited-, but I don't think a person should be convicted simply because he IS an -edited-.

SmalltownMN likes this.
  12. GeneWright

He was charged with involuntary manslaughter, same as the armorer. I think that sounds fair given what we know about the situation.

What U ignore likes this.
  13. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I don't know about all this, but in my day, we pointed our cap guns and kept firing. When we ran out of caps, we just yelled BLAM! BLAM! YOU'RE DEAD!!

When we wanted to test the fire power and acoustics of the caps, we got different size rocks, and we would keep stacking the caps and striking them until we reached the level we wanted. At that point, we would set traps all over the yard, sometimes with strings attached to pull the rocks onto a previously readied stack of caps, or throw the rocks until we hit the hidden cap pile. Sometimes the rocks would hit the other kid, but that was a bonus, because the kid would have to leave the fight to go home to stop the bleeding or restore his eyesight. I sort of think that is what happened on the Baldwin movie set. Jesus, all he had to do was yell "BLAM BLAM YOU'RE DEAD!"

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ACTORS TODAY? I could do better in my backyard gunfight, back in the day.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  14. toughcoins

You completely missed my point . . . that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, and that the human body reacts to the charge in the chamber of the gun. Absent a charge, there is no physical reaction.

15. GeneWright

I understood, what I was getting at is that we can easily recreate those reactions digitally now

16. justafarmer

justafarmer Well-Known Member

Oh come on. Except for scenes depicting exaggerated sawed off shotgun blasts; Hollywood hasn't given realistic recoil any consideration since the Tom Mix days.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  17. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Wish I would have known you as a kid. I just stole my granddads hammer and gave the roll a good hard smack... Which in return would earn my backside a good hard smack for rummaging around in granddads tools.

charley likes this.
  18. toughcoins

And that speaks to my point. Today Hollywood pats itself on the back and makes a big deal of going to such great lengths to impart realism in as many other areas as they can tackle, yet cast aside the nuances of ballistics as unworthy of their attention.

At one end of the spectrum, I can't count the number of times I've watched 200 lb men lifted off their feet by an itty-bity 1/4 ounce bullet . . . or, at the opposite end, the number of gangsta-held pistols that should have sprained thumbs (gravity acting on the mass of the handgun doesn't help offset recoil in that orientation).

I'll believe CGI can do an admirable job of filling in for real ballistics when I read an article about how well CGI models the ejection of the cartridge, the subtle translation and rotation of the forearm and gun due to recoil, the muzzle flash, etc.

Until then, I think that, as close as you can get to the real thing really is better.

19. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

A person is dead because another person’s ego.
    1.There are simple rules to gun safety that anyone with a gun should know and not think they are above knowing.
    2.This was not the first time someone died on set so no excuses
    3. Blanks can kill as well and that has also happened on a Hollywood set with Jon-Erik Hexum.
    The women is dead, Baldwin pulled the trigger.

SmalltownMN likes this.
  20. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN Active Member

#1 is key. That is where the negligence lies.

What U ignore and Andy like this.