Amendment to bar Nebraska kids from church camps grabs national attention

Discussion in 'Religion' started by JoeNation, Feb 12, 2023.

1. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

Amendment to bar Nebraska kids from church camps grabs national attention
    Source: Omaha World Herald

By Martha Stoddard 3 hrs ago

LINCOLN — An Omaha lawmaker set the internet abuzz recently with an amendment to ban minors from church camps, vacation Bible study classes and other “religious indoctrination camps.”

The proposal is just one of several amendments from State Sen. Megan Hunt intended to make a statement while helping her fight bills she opposes. In doing so, the second-term lawmaker is taking a page from the playbook of another state legislator famous for riling opponents, former Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha.

It was Hunt’s amendment to Legislative Bill 371, which seeks to ban minors from drag shows, that generated the recent attention.

Her amendment generally mirrors the bill, which she opposes, but starts by laying out legislative findings that there is a “well-documented history of indoctrination and sexual abuse perpetrated by religious leaders and clergy people upon children.”

[​IMG]

Nebraska State Sen. Megan Hunt, seen here speaking ahead of the 2023 State of the State address, has filed several amendments intended to fight bills she opposes and make a broader point about the original legislation.
    ANNA REED, THE WORLD-HERALD

Read more: https://omaha.com/news/state-and-re..._eh1=6bacec6889bf05ba106ae00be40328adccb1c8a6

2. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

This is not an amendment. It is a proposed amendment.

3. What U ignore

What U ignore Thread KILLER

Makes no difference to ignorant folks who cannot read!

4. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

You could stop right there. Whether it's an amendment being voted on or a proposed amendment makes no difference here.

5. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Simply one more step towards removing a positive foundation for youngsters to build their young lives on..... And we wonder why personal responsibility is disappearing from so many of today's youth.

6. What U ignore

What U ignore Thread KILLER

:oops: I forgot. You are correct. The Marxist, liberal, progressive, democrat educators have mucked up our young citizen's brains so much so that they believe that their words and their sex can be whatever they wish!

7. JoeNation
    No Mood

Number of children sexually abused at drag shows = 0. Number of children sexually abused in church camps, vacation Bible study classes and other “religious indoctrination camps.” = tens of thousands. Now which practice is truly hurting our children?

Using children as a way to discriminate against something you find "icky" kind of backfires when reality is applied.

8. Mopar Dude

Number of children killed in car crashes?
    Number of children abused by adults?
    Number of children hungry?
    Number of children run over by a school bus?

Sure it's a silly list, but come on.... We have removed the pledge. We denigrate the flag... Teachers fear the children and our kids are among the poorest educated in the world.... 99.9% of what churches do is solid and builds character in young people. You think things are going well for young people these days? Have you looked around? We are but a few years into this experiment spawned by the left and our children are dropping like flies. How bout post the rise in the number of young suicides over the course of the last few years. That might be a meaningful statistic that we can glean some useful information from.

9. JoeNation
    No Mood

The legislation proposed by the conservative lawmaker here is to ban kids from attending drag shows supposedly to "protect" them from a non-existent threat while the actual threat that is well-documented by religious organizations is somehow ignored by this lawmaker.
    If you propose making kids safer, you should define the threats to them in reality not in your own prejudices first.

10. Mopar Dude

The very real threat to our children is the removal of the character building institutions that offend the left.... You take the ten commandments from them and the very simple and meaningful lesson that they instill into a young mind and leave that young mind free to ponder the realities spewed forth by the most current pop star, internet image maker or whatever..... These kids need the solid foundation that comes from prayer, the Pledge of Allegiance or even placing their hand over their heart for the National Anthem. Those simple actions that you may find offensive give a young and fragile mind something solid to build their confidence in. It affords real meaning to these young people... Far more meaning than a drag show offers.

11. toughcoins

Let's get down to brass tacks, not pinheads.

The number of drag shows held in front of childhood audiences in all of American history barely exceeds zero to date, so there is understandably no data with which to reliably forecast forward. Therefore, your comparison is completely irrelevant. Subjectively, however, it is not unfair to infer that, because DQs have played both sides, their adventurism took them to places we'd much rather not have our kids go.

If you want to compare the prevalence of sexual abuse in religious atmospheres to something more traceable, I suggest we scrutinize educational environments much more carefully.

12. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN All I can do is shake my head....

What is your experience with child abuse, child protection services, and the legal system as it relates to these?

I am deeply entrenched in one of these cases right now as a foster parent, so I speak from experience.

Here's an easy question for you in regards to your comments above: In a custody battle, knowing that nothing illegal happened to the child at either event, which parent is going to stand a better chance in front of a judge and/or jury - the parent that brought their kid to a drag show or the one that brought that kid to a bible camp?

13. JoeNation
    No Mood

Just before they are sexually abused by the adults they trusted to teach them all those things you claim they need to learn.

The power these religious leaders have over these young minds is truly frightening. And we have a long, long list of abuses. It's OK to attend a church service but these young kids should never be left alone with any of these adults. The potential for abuse is not only well-documented, it is across all religions. I'm against child sexual abuse. You should be too.

14. JoeNation
    No Mood

Which parent is male?

15. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN All I can do is shake my head....

It is obvious where GeneW got his penchant for dancing around a subject and never answering a direct question.

The sex of the child or parents matters not for the question asked.

16. toughcoins

What? Dig deeper into into sexual abuse at educational institutions? . . .

CRICKETS . . .

17. JoeNation
    No Mood

I can see why you believe what you believe. There is no way to tell what any judge might decide based on the situation you described. If the judge was a Right-wing bigot, I could see the judgment going one way. If the judge considered all the important factors, the judgment might go a different way.

18. Mopar Dude

I refuse to accept that I live in a world where educated adults can actually rationalize favoring children's attendance at drag shows over bible school..... So before I say something that may be offensive, I will excuse myself from this discussion.

CoinOKC likes this.
  19. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC T R U M P 2 0 2 4

While we are at it, let’s forbid any teachers from being alone with children. Film the classrooms and all after-school activities. Abuse by teachers, educators, teacher’s aides, etc. on children is rampant.

I would like to know what makes little children so attractive to teachers. Do teachers get into the profession just to abuse children? Probably a lot of them, yes. But some people simply like to prey on the vulnerable.

Get cameras in the classrooms NOW!!!!

20. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC T R U M P 2 0 2 4

But, liberals WANT you to accept children at drag shows over children at bible study.