Are Liberals Self Consumed?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mopar Dude, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I hadn’t addressed this previously. It has been something that I seem to notice at the periphery but choose to ignore as an unfair personal observation. Well, today a neighborhood incident rather stunned me.

I live in a nice middle class neighborhood. Two houses down from me is a middle school teacher. Her yard has never been tended. The place looks ramshackle. Over the winter months plastic flamingos started appearing in the yard. I would guess thirty pink plastic flamingos are scattered about the yard residing in the waist high grass and garbage. Last month two signs appeared. Biden for President and Black Lives Matter..... I don’t care. It’s her property and she can do as she pleases far as I am conserved.

This morning I am doing my yard work when I hear angry voices over there. Seems one of the neighbors asked her if he could cut her grass. In all fairness, it does look like hell...... Seems as the conversation ramped up, my neighbor told her it was considerate to the neighborhood to tend her yard. The fuse was lit and that was when I heard her scream... I DON’T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT WHAT MY NEIGHBORS THINK!!!

I get it. This is her little plot of earth to live on. I do get it, but I couldn’t imagine a more selfish comment a person could scream as loud as she could. Thing is, it also sounded quite sincere. So I have to ask. Is it a liberal trait to be self consumed?

2. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

[​IMG]

I can't think of a more self-consumed stance than being willing to throw away the lives of the elderly and vulnerable due to the perceived inconvenience of wearing a mask.

The point is, your neighbor was a jerk and this woman is a jerk. With anything as big as political movements, you're going to get all kinds of people

3. toughcoins

toughcoins Well-Known Member

The woman in the photo seems very bright, actually. I think she's making a point that liberals don't want to acknowledge.

She's flaunting her right to decide what to do with her body, even though it might affect another . . .

Time for a little introspection libs . . . ?

4. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

Depends how you define "another" I suppose, but that debate and her intelligence is beside the point here. Rather focus on the self-consumed nature of that choice to not wear a mask.

All I was trying to get across was I don't think being self-consumed is a liberal or conservative trait. Just that you're going to get people of all kinds on both sides of that spectrum.

5. toughcoins

"Another"?. . . semantics.

She's deliberately poking liberals in the eye with her message. Regardless of your intent, it still demands a bit of introspection . . . either that or you are a hypocrite.

6. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

Only if you consider a fetus to be a person, but again, not the topic of discussion.

7. toughcoins

Ahhh . . . that argument of convenience again. Isn't elective abortion actually the very crux of this discussion? The self-centeredness of wanting to have sex without having to deal with the potential consequences of doing so?

Mopar Dude likes this.
  8. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

And this is nail on the head to the point of what I am getting at. Lawmaking should address the “we” and not the “me”. But I am afraid we have become far too self consumed to think outside ourselves...... Not long ago I was having lunch with a very liberal friend of mine. At one point he mentioned that owning a successful business that I must be rolling in cash. I told him, not at all. I am the last person in my organization that is compensated. In fact the first two years of my business, I lived almost entirely on my wife’s earnings. He couldn’t conceive of such a thing..... I honestly don’t know if this is a political or generational thing. I do know that this all inclusive discussion that takes place among the left these days sounds a whole lot more about what makes “me” feel good rather than what is truly good for all.

toughcoins likes this.
  9. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

I'll just say that generalizing one neighbor to all liberals is too much of a stereotyped premise to make your question even remotely valid since the premise has more to do with your own prejudices than any supposed group dynamic of any type. Maybe the better question here is; Are you too self-consumed with your own biases to notice the differences in liberals? I'd start there if I were you.

Besides, you actually answered your own question. If you're not black, or even if you are, and you have a sign in your yard that says, "Black Lives Matter", how self-consumed cold you really be? You have already posted a sign in your yard that says you are concerned for others. Go talk to her and apologize for the other neighbor's anger and offer to help cut her lawn if she would accept your help. If you really want to make her day, bring your lovely daughter along to help.

WWJD. Probably not judge her is my guess.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  10. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

If someone isn't ready for a child and can't properly care for it, I see that as the most responsible way to deal with the consequences. It would be stubborn and irrational in my view to drag a child one isn't ready for into this world.

11. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Or maybe the convenience of telling others what they should do without ever having to make the same choice yourself. It must be great to lord your opinions over others but never have to listen to them tell you that you can't have an abortion because you are in a postion of privilege they can't be a part of simply because they were born female. You reek of male privilege.

12. toughcoins

Funny . . . Mother Nature doesn't share your perspective. There was a time when society connected sexual activity with the assumption of responsibility for parenthood. The earlier you did it, the faster you grew up.

We've grown soft as a society . . . my opinion is that we can thank liberalism for that.

13. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

You haven't worked with many animals before have you... Check out filial cannibalism and infanticide. It is gruesome to witness, but INCREDIBLY common for animals to eat their own young. This can be for many reasons, but a common one is thought to be lack of resources for the parent to adequately raise their young. They instinctively eat them to recoup energy and try again once the situation is more optimal.

I digress, but I thought it was an interesting tangent you brought up. Personally I've witnessed this most in rats and mice through work, but it happens in all sorts of animals including primates. If that disgusts you, well then now who's soft?