Because Trump tweets so many, many lies, Twitter is now fact-checking them

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, May 27, 2020.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

This should make us all happy. You don't like his tweets, I don't like his lies, we all win here. Right?

Trump is now threatening to close Twitter down, which he doesn't have the power to do.

Trump Threatens Twitter After Presidential Tweets Get Fact Check
    The president claimed that tech giants “silence conservative voices,” and threatened to regulate them, despite not being able to.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened social media companies with new regulation or even shuttering a day after Twitter added fact checks to two of his tweets.

The president can’t unilaterally regulate or close the companies, which would require action by Congress or the Federal Communications Commission. But that didn’t stop Trump from angrily issuing a strong warning.

Claiming tech giants “silence conservative voices,” Trump tweeted, “We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.”

twitter lies.PNG

2. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

He's calling it a violation of his free speech, but as far as I know the first amendment free speech can only be violated by the government, not private entities.

With that in mind, wouldn't he be violating Twitter's free speech to fact check him by using the power of the executive office to limit their message? Arguably he already did so by condemning and threatening them with the account used for dissemination of official executive office news.

3. JoeNation
    Angelic

It's not like they are preventing him from saying anything he wants to say, twitter is just correcting the lies he tells again and again. I guess if conservative voices just want to lie, then twitter has the right to tell the truth with their free speech rights.

'We Will Strongly Regulate, Or Close Them Down.' Trump Threatens To Shutter Social Media Platforms A
    Source: TIME

(Washington D.C.) -- President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened social media companies with new regulations or even shuttering a day after Twitter added fact checks to two of his tweets. The president can't unilaterally regulate or close the companies, which would require action by Congress or the Federal Communications Commission. But that didn't stop Trump from angrily issuing a strong warning.

Claiming tech giants "silence conservative voices," Trump tweeted, "We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen." Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.

We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can't let a more sophisticated version of that....-- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 27, 2020 And he repeated his unsubstantiated claim -- which sparked his latest showdown with Silicon Valley -- that expanding mail-in voting "would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots."

Trump and his campaign angrily lashed out Tuesday after Twitter added a warning phrase to two Trump tweets that called mail-in ballots "fraudulent" and predicted that "mail boxes will be robbed," among other things. Under the tweets, there is now a link reading "Get the facts about mail-in ballots" that guides users to a Twitter "moments" page with fact checks and news stories about Trump's unsubstantiated claims...

Read more: https://time.com/5843107/trump-threatens-social-media-twitter-fact-check/

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  4. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of our presidents use of Twitter. In fact I am appalled at the message I heard was posted last night..... However, I am torn here...... Let's just say that I post something here that Peter doesn't approve of. This site is owned by Peter and I believe he has every right to censor my unacceptable post. On the other hand, I believe that Twitter has now established a precedent. They have in fact covertly censored his post. Is Twitter now not obligated to censor every political office holders tweets? Or do they get to pick and choose depending upon their own personal platform?

5. JoeNation
    Angelic

My understanding is that the text of Trump's tweet was not censored. Twitter simply added a link to the actual facts that Trump was misrepresenting. Trump is still posting his rants. They are being fact checked by Twitter. This enrages Trump. Trump is about as fake of a news source as it gets.

This is what it looks like.

looting.PNG

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  6. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

I mean, as long as they only censor posts that violate their terms of service (such as this one, for glorifying violence), I think they should be in the clear.

To clarify, they actually made an exception in this case for Trump. Where they'd normally delete a post glorifying violence, they left it up and hid it so you have to opt in to see it. They even had a special message about how it was "in public interest" to not outright delete it.

7. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

Twitter is a private business. don't like it, don't use it. Conservatism 101