Biden's Revolution Is Doing What Obama and Clinton Did Not

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, Feb 22, 2021.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Biden’s Revolution Is Doing What Obama and Clinton Did Not
    ‘MAKE ME DO IT’

One month in, the 46th president is respecting the left even when it wants to go further than he will, and he’s dismissing bad-faith conservative complaints about his agenda.
    Michael Tomasky Special Correspondent
    Feb. 22, 2021 4:05AM ET

We’re one month and change into the Biden presidency, and let’s just say it. He’s been staggeringly good. He has way surpassed my expectations. And it’s small wonder he has a 63 percent approval rating. Most people like what they see.

What’s he done, in big-picture terms? Three things. First and foremost, he and his team are not letting themselves be bullied by the economic supply-siders and neoliberals who’ve spent the last few decades transferring $50 trillion in wealth from the middle class to the rich.

Second, the Biden team understands that the standard Beltway definition of bipartisanship is useless with today’s Republican Party. The Biden people get that congressional Republicans don’t even really represent most rank-and-file Republicans anymore—hence these polls showing significant support even among Republicans for most aspects of the COVID relief bill. This administration shows every sign of not letting itself get suckered into the false promise of trying to win Republican votes that aren’t likely to materialize.

Third, they don’t have contempt for Democrats to their left, which is a great thing to see. History tells us pretty clearly in my view that progress is made in this country when activists on the left go out and agitate and change public opinion and liberals codify that change by writing laws. The Biden people clearly agree with this view.

more...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bidens-revolution-is-doing-what-obama-and-clinton-did-not?ref=home

2. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I would like to see the President put more effort into selling his agenda. I keep reading about executive actions being signed each day. But he isn’t making any effort to sell me on those actions. I am hearing about them after the fact and left to draw my own conclusions.

3. JoeNation
    Angelic

Maybe he learned from Trump. I think Democrats are done selling things to Republicans that are never going to get onboard anyway. Obama learned this lesson the hard way and had little of his agenda enacted. With a 50-50 Senate, the filibuster is king and executive actions are the heir to the throne. I couldn't care less if Biden ever gets a single Republican vote for his agenda. They are not honest partners by any stretch. Biden has 63% approval rating. A rating Trump could only dream about. Elections have consequences as sometimes those consequences are good.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  4. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I was speaking as an American citizen. No, Biden does not owe anything to the Republican Party. However he does to the electorate.

5. JoeNation
    Angelic

I think the electorate is pretty happy with Biden.

6. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

They better be, because it was the last election they will ever get. Not only has Biden proven that we don't need an Electoral Vote, but through Executive Order, we really don't need a Congress or Senate either. Ah, we're finally becoming a one party state.

Sincerely, the no longer need loyal opposition.

7. JoeNation
    Angelic

Relax, the ship is beginning to right itself. Your ideologically vacuous opposition is in the process of tearing itself apart without any help from the other side. Would you have US save your asses? Doubtful, but the damage was pretty self-inflicted you have to admit. Now your party is primarily the party of seditionists and traitors.

Anyway, I was trying to be accommodating and talk about Biden rather than Trump or the opposition for a change. You should be happy that the conversation has shifted as well as the direction of the country. It's all good.

c jay likes this.
  8. JoeNation
    Angelic

We are all Americans after all.

9. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

I am very happy with your reply. My little political party is going Bull Moose on us, and you know how that turned out.

10. JoeNation
    Angelic

Growing up in Minnesota, I was taught to avoid the mother moose when in the North Woods. Apparently, you don't want to ever get between a mother moose and her baby.

Ah, remembering the old thread about the only natural predator an adult moose has.

11. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

An Architect I worked for was in college in the late 60's and attended many an anti-war protest. He was describing one where a guy on a motorcycle was scooting around with an American flag between the protestors and the cops. When he approached the protestors, they would cheer. When he approached the cops, they would salute. This reminded me of that. If we have the same end goal, I don't care how we get there.

Mopar Dude and JoeNation like this.
  12. JoeNation
    Angelic

I think our goals are the same and have been for quite a while. We allow ourselves to be divided by the very people we elect. It serves their purposes. They talk unity but foment division.

Mopar Dude likes this.