Bloomberg looked like a deer in the headlights

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JohnHamilton, Feb 20, 2020.

1. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

Last night’s Democratic debate was not a good one for billionaire Mike Bloomberg. After spending $400 million on TV campaign ads, Bloomberg faced direct questioning and criticism for the first time. All of his Democratic opponents pounced on him. Elizabeth Warren compared his relationships with women to President Trump. Another commented about how the election did not need to have two billionaires in the race. All of them mentioned his stop and frisk policy toward young minority men.

One of the few jabs that Bloomberg got in was when he pointed out the hypocrisy of Sanders who is a millionaire who owns three houses. That drew groans from the Democratic audience. Bloomberg mostly stood there and took it.

If Bloomberg does buy the nomination, and that’s what he’s done so far, he will have a divided party behind him. He’s going to have to do better with the rough and tumble ways of competitive politics than how he did here. When he ran for Mayor of New York, he only had to deal with his own party. Even so it was said that he spent over $170 a vote to get re-elected the last time. Now, dealing with a much more diverse electorate, he’ll have to earn the job, not buy it.

2. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

I'm not a fan of Bloomberg. He is a much better businessman than Trump will ever be but he would be little more than a Technocrat. He has pledged to put as much money behind the Democratic nominee as it takes to beat Trump even if the nominee isn't Bloomberg. We'll see.

He got what he deserved last night.

3. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I have to say that I was rather miffed by Bloomberg's performance myself. For such an astute businessman, I was surprised that was was not better equipped to think on his feet. Of course some of that may be attributable to age. I certainly know my mental prowess isn't what it was just a few years ago.

4. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

Bloomberg is like Trump. He created his own business, and he’s the boss. He might be open to discussing differences, but once he’s made up his mind, it’s over. It’s one of the reasons why there have been so many turnovers in the Trump administration. Some of it has been because some people were disloyal. They deserved to get the can. Others have been over policy and style, and that has been unfortunate at times.

Bloomberg never figured on somebody like Elizabeth Warren telling him where to go. It’s because he’s never really had huge opposition when he got elected. Now he’s up against people who play hardball, and he’s has no no control over them.

It’s good training exercise for the candidate, and it’s a good way for the voters to see how the potential president would deal with similar issues in foreign policy or dealing with an unrulily House or Senate.

The presidency is a lot more than canned commercials that present sweetness and light. It’s a darn hard job, and guys like Bloomberg and Biden have shown they don’t have what it takes.

As for Sander’s, I need to open a thread about him. I’d call him down right dangerous.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  5. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

That is a statement I agree 100% with.