Catholic leader whose organization voted to deny Biden communion caught using gay dating app

Discussion in 'Religion' started by FryDaddyJr, Jul 22, 2021.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

Right wing GOP, don't ever change baby

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) approved a measure last month that could pave the way for the Catholic Church to deny President Joe Biden communion. The conservative bishops hope to prevent Biden from participating in the sacred ritual because of his support for abortion rights.

Biden is a devout Catholic who considered becoming a priest in his youth. He rarely misses mass, holds a rosary while making critical decisions, and often quotes scriptures. When asked about the bishops' decision Biden said it is "a private matter and I don't think that's going to happen."

The bishops hope the new guidance would push "Catholics who are cultural, political, or parochial leaders to witness the faith."

Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill, the general secretary of the USCCB, has been forced to step down due to some serious allegations about his private life. Burrill, a priest from Wisconsin, worked for the USCCB for the past five years and was elected general secretary last year.

"On Monday, we became aware of impending media reports alleging possible improper behavior by Msgr. Burrill. What was shared with us did not include allegations of misconduct with minors. However, in order to avoid becoming a distraction to the operations and ongoing work of the Conference, Monsignor has resigned effective immediately," Archbishop Jose Gomez wrote in a memo to U.S. bishops.

The PIllar, a Catholic publication, found evidence that the priest engaged in "serial sexual misconduct." An analysis of Burrill's phone found that it was emitting data signals from Grindr, a location-based hookup app, on a near-daily basis during parts of 2018, 2019, and 2020.

Grindr is an app designed to bring together gay and bisexual men for sexual encounters. Signals showed that he also visited gay bars and private residences associated with the app.

While using an app to meet people for sexual encounters shouldn't be frowned upon, it's a big no-no in the Catholic church. Especially for someone in a leadership position.

Friar Thomas Berg, a professor of moral theology at St. Joseph's Seminary in Yonkers, New York, told The Pillar that use of such apps is strictly against Catholic doctrine.

Berg said that "according to canon law and the Church's tradition, clerics are obliged to observe 'perfect and perpetual continence,' as a reflection of what should be our lived pursuit of our spousal relationship with the Church and with Christ."

Homosexuality, along with all sexual activity outside of heterosexual marriage, is considered a sin in Catholic doctrine.

Burrill appears to be an even bigger hypocrite because the USCCB has opposed LGBTQ equality, same-sex adoption, and the development of an LGBTQ suicide hotline. It has also promoted anti-trans legislation.

It always seems to be that the religious folks who judge the harshest always wind up having something to hide. It's a shame that Catholics such as Burrill are forced by doctrine to live their lives in the shadows. But shouldn't that make them more compassionate towards fellow sinners instead of the first to judge?

From Your Site Articles

https://www.upworthy.com/catholic-m...biden-communion-caught-using-a-gay-dating-app

2. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

Gee, this is a real shocker.

Mother Church has always encouraged deep and malignant hypocrisy. The Protestants have nothing to crow about in that regard, either. It's a good thing that through Jesus, all Christians are forgiven. Very helpful.

3. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

You know what I gave up for Lent many a years ago? Catholicism!
    Gotta love a religion that gives you an out like that. :D

4. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Humans are fallible which is precisely the reason Christ was given to us. I won't attempt to sway anyone here to my belief in our savior. What I do wish to address is what is glaringly wrong with this entire line of thinking... There are 414,000 Catholic priests practicing and sharing faith. You don't think that in any demographic of 400k humans that you will not find one that is fallible? How about the 400k priests that have saved marriages, or saved a depressed teen from taking his life? Is their work meaningless in this conversation? They certainly don't make your sensationalized headlines, do they?

5. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

maybe being gay was never a sin to begin with? maybe Joe Biden should be welcomed into church??

Mopar Dude likes this.
  6. Mopar Dude

Absolutely the President should be welcomed into church. This country is in desperate need of divine guidance..... As for being gay.. Well, I have no opinion. I don't share what goes on in the privacy of my bedroom and I was not appointed as judge over what happens in anyone else's bedroom. That isn't what defines a man or a woman. It just doesn't matter to me...... However this priest is obviously a troubled man. He is in need of help. Not judgment.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  7. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Religion is a doubled edged sword. One side offers the hand of friendship and hope while the other side cuts you to the bone and leaves you bloody and wounded. More and more people are turning away from the dogma of organized religion because religion has lost its way. The old allegories do not speak to the current population, not because the population is somehow more evil or more sinful, but because the messengers spend more time talking about what they and by extension God, hates. Who wants to listen to that? If anything, religion has failed miserably. It has become irrelevant and remained backwards. There are some 200 Christian-based religions in the US and over 45,000 in the world. But you believe that only your religion is the true faith? That is some kind of arrogance.

8. Mopar Dude

I am sure that exists some places. If that were the message in my church, I wouldn't be there.

This is an assumption on your part. I don't think anyone on this earth can comprehend what our grand creator is. I most imagine that every religion has it right to some degree. As simple humans we attempt to understand what is not understandable to the best of our ability...... But that is a different discussion for a different thread.