Death Penalty.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CoinBlazer, Feb 20, 2021.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

I hope that we can have a few threads in the future about major laws and proposals of substance rather than the constant banter over the former President.
    In theory, I believe and strongly advocate for the death penalty. Let me stare a few points of notice and we can begin a discussion there.

Death Penalty should be applied when a defendant is found guilty of 1st-3rd degree murder, Rape and other sexual crimes.
    I believe that any crime that severely violates the sanctity of human life to a degree of irreparable damage should constitute the death penalty.

In my opinion, the death penalty is less a focus of punishment, rather a removal of evil in society. Death Penalty should be applied to rid the world of such despicable terror to make the other 99.999% of the population safer.

Obviously this is strictly opinion and I do not provide any technical evidence of such because it is my opinion on what should be.
    Dissent and Discussion encouraged.

2. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

a childish viewpoint. Look up how many innocents we've put to death

3. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

I'm pretty against the death penalty personally. I feel the state shouldn't have the right to end someone's life. It's the premeditation and decision of the act to put someone to death that really bothers me. Caveat to this, I don't want to totally ban the death penalty, but rather make it a completely opt in choice for those serving life without possibility of parole.

4. CoinBlazer

That’s why I said in theory. I’m aware of the many flaws that the current system has. I suppose you could consider this thread wishful thinking rather than a real world approach.

5. CoinBlazer

The act of ending ones life should not be taken lightly or simply. And I think death Penalty should be applied in only the cases stated above. I also believe that there is true evil and maliciousness in the world that needs to be eradicated.

6. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

You're pretty vague here CoinBlazer.

Rape and other sexual crimes? Would that include things like groping? Peeping Toms?

FryDaddyJr. is right as well. Many innocents have been put to death.

Just look at how many have been released after years of incarceration when DNA proved them innocent.

What's next? Chopping off the hands of shoplifters?

7. CoinBlazer

I am pretty vague here, I’m just spilling my thoughts, not drafting legislation here.

8. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Ask yourself three questions:

1) Do you really want the government in the business of putting it's citizens to death?
    2) Does taking a human life cheapen life in general?
    3) When in our history has the legal system ever been applied equally across race, socioeconomic status, or gender?

I think that you have to look into what you are advocating for at a deeper level if you truly want to form an opinion that you can live with.

clembo likes this.
  9. CoinBlazer

1) I’d consider it less of a business and more of a solemn responsibility.
    2) The unjustified taking of a life, cheapens the value and sanctity of life. In a ideal practice, no one would be put to death unjustifiably.
    3) I don’t have enough knowledge on class inequality to give a sound answer to that. I think I’ll maybe study up on that though.

JoeNation likes this.
  10. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Glad you're not drafting legislation here.

Once upon a time a guy thought all Jews should be eradicated. He had a lot of power and millions of innocent Jews died.

So who would determine who is truly evil and malicious? The leaders of our theocratic society?

11. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

The answer to 3) is never.

12. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Talk about timing.

I just popped out to run a few errands and heard this on the radio.

A guy that owns a few restaurants in Chicago has been accused of "upskirting" by a few female employees and may have done this to over 500 female employees over the years. Most under 18.

Can't say I'd ever heard of upskirting till today.

He has always required female employees to wear dresses or skirts. Seems he's had a camera on the top of his shoe for a sneak peek.
    21st century shoe mirrors!

Now I find this rather perverse and if he's done this to over 500 women I'd say he has a problem and one hell of a collection.

Death sentence?

13. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Another point that I considered listing was the death penalty as a deterrent to crime. It has never been proven to be a deterrent yet it is routinely framed as a deterrent. If it isn't a deterrent, then isn't it purely retribution on a societal level? We are applying a punitive measure and calling it a deterrent after the fact.

14. CoinBlazer

Because humans are morally flawed beings whose greed and selfishness will always urge humans to put ourselves above others...

15. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

What is the practical difference between execution and absolute incarceration. By absolute incarceration, I mean a complete removal from society. No visitations, no letters out, no news or word from the outside world, no parole and for life. All humanitarian safeguards remain without getting ridiculous like TV rights.

As far as the outside world goes, the inmate is as good as dead. The plus is it's reversible if proven wrong.

clembo likes this.
  16. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

True and I'm not even totally against the death penalty.

17. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

You're getting warmer.

So the death penalty can also be construed as a means to justify the end.

Namely; retention of power by the rich.

In such a scenario who is truly evil and malicious?

JoeNation likes this.
  18. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

The more I read this the scarier it gets.

You'd see a lot of people being put to death under your parameters. Quite possibly even some of your friends or even family members.

If not now in the future.

19. CoinBlazer

Does allowing persons who committed and found guilty of murder and rape live scare you?

And are you implying that “quite possibly” my friends and family would commit such crimes?

20. CoinBlazer

Means: Death Penalty
    End: kill a person who is guilty of heinous crimes such as rape and murder and prevent that person from harming another person or society again.