Defund the police? What are we doing?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SmalltownMN, Jun 4, 2020.

1. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

The extreme you took it to is a different situation entirely. You've changed the scenario completely and now it's my fault for some reason. A brick threw a window is completely different than murder. But keep going anyway.

2. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

can you cite that law for us?

3. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN All I can do is shake my head....

Breaking the law is breaking the law, Joe. Whether it’s stealing candy from the corner store or murder, there are consequences either way, just on a different level. If you were the kid standing next to the shoplifter, the same applies, you’re going to be made to empty your pockets as well.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  4. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

If you say so...o_O

5. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

It's okay @SmalltownMN, realism never was Joe's strong suit . . .

SmalltownMN likes this.
  6. FryDaddyJr

so maybe you can cite the law he's talking about

7. toughcoins

I wasn’t talking about a law. I was talking about the fact that, in the absence of personal observation of the shoplifting offense, and the knowledge that suspects are limited to persons within proximity at the time, officers have probable cause to detain and question those present to ascertain relevant facts.

While not all crimes are the same, SmalltownMN is right that all crimes are still crimes. Joe, may not like it, but SmalltownMN is right, and Joe is wrong.

SmalltownMN likes this.
  8. FryDaddyJr

"If you stand idly by while some guy throws a brick through a window, you are complacent to the lawlessness and are just as much a part of the problem. You are, at that point, an accomplice to the criminal act. "

cite the statute.

9. SmalltownMN
    Doh

I should have worded it differently I guess, though @toughcoins didn’t have any difficulty getting it. I didn’t mean that the person IS an accomplice to the crime, only that they will be treated as such.

10. FryDaddyJr

so it's not a crime. so "toughcoins" did not get it

11. toughcoins

Keep thinking inside your itty-bitty liberal box there FD.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  12. FryDaddyJr

treated as such in an investigation does not equal an arrest or criminal record. two people cannot throw a brick. this shouldn't need to be explained to an adult

13. toughcoins

Like I wrote to you before, and I understand some people may need to be told twice, the officer wants to get at the facts, and is able to question those present to obtain them. Failure to comply may result in detention.

Two people can be suspected of any crime, and getting at the facts is part of the officer's job. You may not like that, but there are a lot of things you're not going to like in life.

SmalltownMN likes this.
  14. SmalltownMN
    Doh

I’m sorry that this is so difficult for you to understand.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  15. FryDaddyJr

except that isn't what you said, you said it was a crime to be a bystander. woops.

"If you stand idly by while some guy throws a brick through a window, you are complacent to the lawlessness and are just as much a part of the problem. You are, at that point, an accomplice to the criminal act. "

16. SmalltownMN
    Doh

I
    I corrected my meaning already. Again, why is this hard to understand? Perhaps you need to stick to your vegan rants.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  17. FryDaddyJr

if you corrected it, you should stop saying you were right.

18. toughcoins

I said no such thing . . . do you have a hard time attributing statements to the correct sources?

Moreover, as SmalltownMN pointed out already, he agrees that he should have used different words in that post.

19. toughcoins

And when corrected, as you were, you too should stop saying you are right.

20. SmalltownMN
    Doh

My corrected meaning is 100% accurate. Please enlighten us as to how it is not.