Electoral College Delegates

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CoinBlazer, Oct 24, 2020.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

If the EC Delegates are chosen by the State legislators, and those state legislators have political affiliation, thus choosing Delegates that support that states or legislators political affiliation, shouldn’t we already know who will win simply by looking at if the legislators and delegates are Republican or Democrat?
    I feel like I’m missing something here...
    halp!

2. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

With two exceptions . . . Maine and Nebraska, electors that vote for the president on behalf of their respective states are united in support of that party whose candidate received the most votes in that state.

Maine and Nebraska use a system of district representation to apportion party representation at the electoral college.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

Ohhh...so it’ a popular vote of each state, 51% or more support in that state and the electors go to that candidate.

4. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

Affirmative.

5. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

They don’t need 51% if there are more than two candidates. The candidate that gets the most popular votes get the Electoral College votes, even if it’s under 50%. Maine and, I think, Colorado can divide their Electoral votes between candidates under certain conditions.

In the vast majority of states the electors are required to vote according to the popular vote. There have been instances when the Electoral delegates went rogue.