evidence for a god

Discussion in 'Religion' started by stainless, Apr 28, 2008.

1. stainless

stainless New Member

PHOENIX:there's things that tells us theres a god

like?.....This is what I want, evidence that he's there.

And not "Oh! just look a creation!", real evidence. If he exist, there should be something.

PHOENIX:True, except just because there are so many people in Christianity, and just because awhile ago some were forced, how does that make it automatically wrong? What does it prove?

I never said it made it wrong? it just shows why christianity is so popular and why some other gods died out.

PHOENIX:BTW, I'm not saying it's wrong, I didn't know about it, how do you know Isiah 7 is talking about Ahaz? There, I would just put it to people, just because it's possibly talking about someone else, it still doesn't make the Bible wrong IMHO. It just makes people wrong. If that's the case. ;)

This doesnt prove the bible wrong, it just shows how the prophecies are vague, and how people interpret it.

stainless

2. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

LOL come on admit it you want concrete evidence dont you :D heck we cant even predict the weather so how come you expect prophesies to be anything other than vague?
    OK now for the seriouse bit, if you realy want to believe in the existance of a god why do you need us to convince you that it exists? WE CAN NOT PROVE THE EXISTANCE OF GOD, CAN YOU DISPROVE THE EXISTANCE? and please no semantics this time. I gave you proof of the worship of Zeus LOL

What you seem not to want to take into account is that the Bible and any other holy book is someones interpritation of something. How many times has it been rewritten to take into account the political climate of the time?

3. stainless

stainless New Member

thanks
    stainless

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

If he is all knowing, he could have done a much better job in writting a book. You don't see this interpretation of the scriptures going on with any other religion other than christianity.

Your words :D
    Now you do see this in other (And I use the word loosly) scriptures, God did not write the books man did, the Koran has split into more than one path as has Budhism and Judeaism. They all claim to have the correct inturpritation of the word of God LOL
    Who knows why they wrote some of what they wrote. I honestly doubt that a single holy book has not changed in some way over time, with the possible loss of meaning of words or they come to mean something else?

5. stainless

stainless New Member

6. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Well put DeOrc.

Many will argue that it's in the "scriptures" the "books" but we do not have any way of knowing what was originally written and even how skewed that may have been by the writer.

Did you ever do the "chinese telephone" thing when you were young? I remember doing it in grade school. The teacher would whisper something in one kid's ear and then it was passed on through whispers. At the end the message was worded totally different.

What about cultures that didn't necessarily have writing? I can imagine that Native American beliefs changed over the years. Core messages still intact but generations of "whispering" will alter things.

Now Bibles, Korans etc. are massed produced but think about the past. Before the printing press. Think there may have been a change here and there? I certainly do.

The core message may remain but through the writer's interpretation many crucial points may have changed.

Am I an overly religious person? NO. Do I disount people's beliefs? NO. Of course I feel that others should not discount my beliefs or even lack thereof either. It's pretty clear at this point isn't it? I don't have a great deal of respect for religion.

I try to follow two simple rules myself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and live and let live. These work for me personally.

Should I start a church? Tell you this much - the sermons would be short.;)

clembo

7. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Amen Brother :D Oh by the way he did give us free will, why do you expect any god to do all the work for you :D

Footprints in the Sand​

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

“You promised me Lord,
    that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Stevenson, 1936

There are a number of versions of this, but this is the one I like :D

8. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 New Member

9. stainless

stainless New Member

Isiah 7:1.....that whole chapter is to Ahaz. If you also look up the word virgin, it's a different word than used for the virgin Mary...

the one in Isiah means "unmarried young woman"

stainless

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Stainless can I ask just what is it you would accept as evidence that god exists? and how would you regognise that evidence if it was placed in front of you? There is historical and archilogical evidence for the story of the flood for example and it also features in a number of differing religiouse texts across the globe. now if that is possibly true then is that the evidence that you require?

11. stainless

stainless New Member

Any evidence that makes your god better than all the others will do:D

If there is any historical or archilogical evidence, I have yet to see it.

The fact that other religions wrote about it can just mean they were copying off each other.

12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger Another Wandering Celt

Or you/we haven't completely understood what proof there is available for study. We, as a species may not have the capability to completely comprehend and wrap our mind around the evidence which lies all around us and "yes, even under our feet..."

If/when this enlightening realization is ever correctly interpertated what will happen then???

13. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 New Member

If I remember right, even though the Egyptians had there "gods", when they heard about the "God" of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, they were afraid, or something to that effect. So, even though they had there "gods", they still feared and believed in the Almighty God. That's just one of many I'm sure, but it's the thing that came to my mind first. :)

Phoenix :cool:

14. stainless

stainless New Member

does anything say this outside the bible?

15. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

So you dismiss them because they might have copied off each other? even though some of them were at opposit corners of the world!!

Now without me doing all the work for you read this then take the time to study up on it. This will lead you to historical evidence to support the flood

http://www.boloji.com/rt3/rt226.htm

Then have a read of these

http://members.aol.com/adobebill/E_Flood.html

Now I am not claiming that god caused these events but I am claiming that they happend. it is up to you how you inturprate the evidence. You asked for evidence to support a bible story well the flood was one of the bigest.

16. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

17. stainless

stainless New Member

18. stainless

stainless New Member

A clear definition of 'God,' plus some objective and compelling supporting evidence, would be enough to convince many atheists.

The evidence must be objective, though; anecdotal evidence of other people's religious experiences isn't good enough. And strong, compelling evidence is required, because the existence of God is an extraordinary claim--and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

19. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

I'll believe in God when they dig up archeological proof. Like bones, or foot prints, or early habitation sites. Show me God’s BONES! Only then will I believe he existed. :)

20. stainless

stainless New Member

no offence, but this post is both ignorant and um.....ignorant..

God is a spirit so he doesnt have bones...

and If I remember correctly, Jesus's bones were gone when they opened up the tomb.

Come on dude, I'm not even this bad.