Ex-President Gerald Ford has died.

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Aidan Work, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I have just heard that former President Gerald Ford has died aged 93.

Aidan.

2. Drusus

Drusus New Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4427708.html

LOS ANGELES — Gerald R. Ford, who picked up the pieces of Richard Nixon's scandal-shattered White House as the 38th and only unelected president in America's history, has died, his wife, Betty, said today. He was 93.

Ford had battled pneumonia in January 2006 and underwent two heart treatments - including an angioplasty - in August at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

He was the longest living president, followed by Ronald Reagan, who also died at 93. Ford had been living at his desert home in Rancho Mirage, Calif., about 130 miles east of Los Angeles.

RIP

3. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

I always thought of him as a pretty nice place holder. Well liked by both sides. He did what he had to do when it wasn't very popular. Turned out that he was right. Rest in peace Mr. President. :bow:

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Mr. Ford was seen as a unifier,yet his pardoning of his predecessor was very controversial.He had his faults like everyone else does.I don't think America will ever have another President who was never elected.

Aidan.

5. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

Well, for the next two years we can always hope. :D

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 New Member

Ford performed a service to the nation by "falling on his sword" by pardoning Nixon and putting the whole ugly mess behind us at a time when there were more important national issues to address. He basically sacrificed his own political career for the good of the nation. Having been dealt a bad hand, he proceeded to play it the best he could. He served for awhile on the Board of Directors of a company I worked for, and I know he was well thought of and was considered extremely intelligent by his fellow board members. I also recall that he was an all-American athlete in college. God bless him.

7. Danr

Danr New Member

Many of Bush's brazen crimes can be traced to that pardon. It gave him confidance that he would receive like treatment.

8. Bob 2

Bob 2 New Member

As a not-elected Vice President (replacing Spior Agnew) and a not-elected President, I guess I'd have to agree that Ford did the best he could with a very bad hand (Nixon, the fall of Saigon, a bad economy). And lots of people say he was a very decent person. But, I didn't then, and I still don't like his pardoning of Nixon.

9. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

And Clinton said nice things about Nixon when Nixon died. By your logic, I guess that means that Slick Willie was hoping history would treat him as kindly as it has treated Tricky Dick.

10. Drusus

Drusus New Member

Or he just had a little class for once and didnt speak ill of the recently departed.

11. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC Donald Trump For President In 2020

One of our presidents has died. I wish some of you could keep your political opinions to yourself once in a while and either speak kindly of Mr. Ford or don't say anything at all.

God Bless President Ford and God Bless America!

12. Danr

Danr New Member

Overall a good man