First draft of HEALS act released by Senate Republicans (attached)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GeneWright, Jul 28, 2020.

1. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

What I like:

-moratorium on evictions
    -some kind of unemployment aid (though $200/week is too little in my opinion)
    -1 time $1200/adult and $500/dependent

What I don't like:

-protection for businesses from lawsuits related to covid
    -incentivize school reopening in person with extra funding

What I REALLY don't like:

There's a whole section starting around page 30 on DOD funding. 30B in total for defense. Page 38 even has some interesting line items. For instance, $686,000,000 is designated for F-35A jets.

Even if you think we need these jets and weapons (I don't) sneaking that into this bill is insane. It does absolutely nothing to address the covid crisis. My guess, they put in crazy extra things to "give up" in negotiation with the House while simultaneously getting to say "look, the house is delaying the bill!" when they are forced to write a counter-proposal.

Attached Files:

2. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

And then there is this. So needed by the American people.

GOP includes the 'three-martini-lunch' deduction in aid package
    Source: MSNBC

In April and May, Donald Trump highlighted some of his key economic priorities during the coronavirus crisis, which included a relatively obscure tax policy: the president wanted lawmakers to approve "business deductions" for "restaurants & entertainment."

Months later, the idea generated support from Senate Republicans, who included the provision in their new economic aid package.

Senate Republicans' proposed coronavirus package unveiled Monday would increase the deduction for business meals, a priority for President Trump. Under a section of the package offered by Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), taxpayers would be able to deduct 100 percent of the costs of business meals through the end of the year, up from 50 percent under current law, if the food and beverages are from restaurants.

It's worth emphasizing that while the White House's Larry Kudlow claimed early yesterday that the GOP relief package would include “increased business deductions for meals and entertainment,” the bill released hours later included the deduction for meals, but not entertainment.

At face value, the idea may not seem outlandish. After all, the restaurant industry has been brutally slammed by the pandemic, and it's hardly unreasonable for policymakers to look for ways to give the industry a boost.

But the details matter. At issue here is a tax break to those who talk business while eating out. As the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities' Robert Greenstein noted yesterday, it's a policy popularly known as the “three-martini-lunch deduction,” generally celebrated by wealthy executives and lobbyists.

Read more: https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...martini-lunch-deduction-aid-package-n1235110?

3. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

people don't need more money than they were earning before though

4. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I cannot write off the health insurance bill I pay each month in excess if $7000.00. I typically write off about $150.00 a month for my sale guys to take their customers to lunch which 90% of the time is a BBQ buffet. A mere pittance for a company that has monthly expenses in the tens of thousands. I have never once had my guys place a martini on an expense report..... You are putting lipstick on a pig here in order to create an issue where none exists.

5. GeneWright

Okay, now try addressing the F-35s and the rest of the 30 billon for the department of defense. If you want, stick with only the several billion dedicated to only buying war planes.

6. Mopar Dude

It has no place whatsoever in assistance legislation. But that is what has been broken in our capitol for a very long time. It is reminiscent of the old "smoke filled" offices where deals were done behind closed doors.... I will approve your bridge if we can build a highway in my state. And is precisely the reason we cannot balance a budget. If you or I can't balance our budget, we get thrown out in the cold. But not in the capitol. You just strike another deal...

Wondering why you feel opposed to legislation that would protect business from Covid lawsuits. If one of my employees came down ill with Covid and filed lawsuit against me because I didn't have enough hand sanitizers, say.... That would eliminate the income of eight other innocent people. Protection against lawsuits is exactly the reason you or I cannot afford to see a doctor without sound insurance backing us up.... Why would the businessman not need protection against the ambulance chasers?

7. GeneWright

I'd rather have something like that determined in the courts. I'd think in the vast majority of suits it would be near impossible to prove liability due to negligence. However, this serves to protect more clear cut cases of negligence.

The end effect I'm really concerned about is the potential to embolden businesses into going back to business as usual before it's safe to do so, now that they are protected from lawsuits.

This was announced and just today my wife's company said they would be bringing everyone back in over the next few weeks. In Minnesota, we're starting to spike again and hospitals are filling up. Now is not the time to reopen a place with nearly 3000 workers on the campus.

8. Mopar Dude

In a lawsuit situation though.... The cost is incurred in legal fees. Say my accounting lady sued me for making an advance on her. Regardless how frivolous and devoid of the truth the allegation may be, I can count on legal fees in the tens of thousands of dollars defending myself. And it is exactly that scenario that keeps me awake nights with Covid. The TV lawyers won't be talking up auto accident victims any longer. It will be the Covid you suffered through due to your greedy boss. I can see the billboard campaign now.... "Caught Covid at work? Call 1-800-sue-a-boss".......

9. JoeNation
    Angelic

Two things: 1) This provision hardly belongs in a stimulus bill, and 2) Just because your guys don't deduct 3 martini lunches, doesn't mean every corporate entity out there won't.

10. JoeNation
    Angelic

There is only one reason Trump wants to open the economy back up in the midst of a raging pandemic, well, maybe two reasons. The first is to be able to say that he is doing a great job with the economy. It wasn't true before the pandemic and it's not true now nor will it be in November. The second reason is because his businesses are suffering financially and if thousands have to die in order for Trump to prop up his bottom line, I seriously doubt Trump gives a damn. It's not like empathy is his strong suit or ever has been.

11. Mopar Dude

I agree with everything that you said... With one exception..... The economy was in fact exuberant prior to Covid. Doesn’t matter to me if you wish to attribute it to extended Obama policy or guidance from space aliens. Our economic health was vibrant prior to Covid.

12. GeneWright

Depends how you measure it. The stock market isn't a direct indicator of economic health, though that seems to be this administration's preferred measuring stick. I will say unemployment rates were good, and while this is a better measure, it doesn't account for people being overqualified and taking worse jobs out of necessity.

13. Mopar Dude

My measure is business. Plain and simple. If I have future business solidly booked into the foreseeable future, that tells me people are confident enough to spend their cash on infrastructure (I market commercial construction materials). It isn’t scientifically based and I don’t have data or talking points. I saw a lot of “help wanted” signs out and about and had a difficult time finding help myself. And it was a well compensated position I needed help to fill. It was in fact a vibrant economy. Everyone that wanted to work was working.

14. JoeNation
    Angelic

As you will remember some time back, I posted a chart that showed that the Trump economy wasn't relatively different from the Obama economy. One main difference is that Obama had to dig this country out of an economic crater at the beginning of his two terms while Trump simply had to step in and take over a functioning economy. We'll never know what heights the Obama Administration could have taken the economy to but his real accomplishment was digging us of a very deep hole. When one looks at the actual numbers for GDP growth and new jobs for the past three years, the con is Trump gaslighting how strong the economy is. His tax cut looks like it was a sugar rush for one year, which has also helped to create the largest federal deficits in history when the economy is growing. And the average GDP under Obama was slightly higher than Trump's and that was before the pandemic. Trump's response to that pandemic, or lack thereof, is Trump's final dagger into the economic heart of this country.

15. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

GOP "good economies" are always bubbles. Then the Dems have to clean it up