Future Covid Steps

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mopar Dude, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

What does Joe’s Covid plan look like? Keep doing what we are doing while the vaccines become more available? Or is there anything else coming?

2. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

2 main things I think he's talked about for getting the vaccine out faster:

1. Setting up federally run vaccination sites in communities across the country so the distribution can be coordinated nationally.

2. We currently have a lot of doses in reserve for the booster people need. He plans to distribute this reserve to get as many people as possible the first dose as quickly as possible. This move is controversial and a bit of a gamble. It's effective around 50% of the time after the first dose and 95% of the time after 2 doses. Without procuring more, his plan runs the risk of inefficacy in about half of patients. However, we may be able to get more if he knows something we don't, and there's an argument to be made for having a lower total but more widely spread immunity.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  3. Mopar Dude

So the second dose has the same make-up as the initial dose then?.... If so, yeah that would make sense in my mind. I don’t know about the rest of the nation but this thing is out of control in my state. We had everything closed down the first few months when we averaged 300-400 cases a day. We now have many thousands of cases each day. This absolutely has to trend down. I believe the risk of running out of vaccine is worth the trade off if we can get these numbers trending down.

4. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

If you go to his web site, he proposes to make Covid-19 an OSHA issue. You can open your business providing you test your employees and do social distancing. Inspections will be through OSHA and I wonder who's going to be managing who get the test kits.

5. Mopar Dude

I missed that. I found a piece where he was going to implement a 100 day mask requirement. Not a big deal. That article didn’t mention a thing about Covid testing becomes an OSHA requirement. That doesn’t seem to make a great deal of sense.

6. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

Off the Biden for Prez site...
    It's the typical Big Gov / Top Down Approach

The Biden Plan for an Effective Re-Opening that Jumpstarts the Economy

Guarantee Testing and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for All Called Back on the Job: If we are going to send Americans back to work without having beaten COVID-19 as a nation, workers should know if they or their co-workers are infected. Biden would:

• Direct the federal government to provide regular and reliable COVID-19 testing for every worker called back on the job – paid for by the federal government, with a federal guarantee of availability and rapid reporting of results — for the duration of this crisis.
    • Ensure all workers, in all communities, have access to effective personal protective equipment based upon their risk of exposure to the virus and their type of workplace. No worker should be forced to give up benefits and return to work under unsafe conditions.
    • Ensure workers and unions have a voice in reopening plans, and that reopening decisions by tribal governments are respected. (Read Joe Biden’s plans for establishing a Pandemic Testing Board to surge testing nationwide, and ramping up the production and fair distribution of PPE.)
    Guarantee Paid Leave for All Who Get Sick: No one should have to choose between their paycheck and their health. Biden would:

• Ensure paid leave for all workers who get sick with COVID-19, for as long as they need to recover and complete quarantine – leave paid for by the federal government with a guarantee that workers can return to their jobs.
    • Guarantee federally-funded paid leave for workers caring for family members or other loved ones sick with COVID-19. His plan is broader, stronger, and longer than the plan enacted by Congress, and is in addition to existing paid leave provided by a business’s existing policies, including collectively-bargained leave.
    Ensure Worker Protection and Accountability: People want to get back to work, but they also want — and deserve — to know that their workplaces are safe. Biden would:

• Task the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) with setting and enforcing a rigorous emergency temporary standard for worker protection so employers follow a clear set of rules to keep workers safe from COVID-19 exposure.
    • Ensure that the OSHA standard includes requirements for exposure identification and control, including social distancing, improved ventilation, and other workplace design measures, adequate personal protective equipment, targeted sanitation procedures, as well as training, notification and communication requirements for handling cases at work.
    • Protect workers not fully covered by OSHA, including by working with Congress to ensure this standard would cover public employees and directing other agencies to enforce industry-specific standards.
    • Pursue tough fines on corporations that do not abide by standards or recklessly expose their workers to COVID-19, targeting employers that engage in the most egregious violations that put the largest number of workers at serious risk. And, he would do everything in his power to ensure workers are protected against retaliation as they reasonably try to stay safe.
    Build a National Contact Tracing Workforce: Once COVID-19 infected people are identified, we need to find those to whom they might have unwittingly spread the disease. Contact tracing is a core component of a robust nationwide data-driven disease surveillance system. Given the massive unemployment problem that Trump generated and the incredible need for contact tracers, Biden would:

• Create a U.S. Public Health Jobs Corps. Through this Corps, the federal government will closely coordinate with state, tribal, and local leaders, as well as unions, to mobilize at least 100,000 people — and many more, if necessary — to support the public health response including by ensuring contract tracing reaches every community in America. Corps members should come from the communities they serve in order to ensure that they create trust and are as effective as possible.
    • Establish a COVID-19 renewable state, tribal, and local government fund — which Biden proposed in mid-March — to provide sorely under-resourced public health departments the support they need to stop new outbreaks.
    Protect Older Americans, Americans with Disabilities, and Others at High Risk: Discrimination against those at risk or those with COVID-19 cannot be tolerated. Biden would:

• Require employers to tailor work arrangements for anyone who is in a high-risk group or has a high-risk individual in their home. If arrangements cannot be made, individuals would be allowed to continue to draw unemployment benefits and be protected from job loss. These benefits would last for the duration of the crisis.
    • Provide older Americans and others at high risk evidence-based guidance for different phases of reopening. Biden’s plan to ramp up testing nationwide — and the resulting aggregated testing data — will help inform advanced this guidance, and will give older Americans, who already experience social isolation, the confidence to know they will not be left behind.
    • Establish testing capacity so that every resident in a long-term care facility could safely see at least one visitor every week and that the many older Americans who foster or care for children have access to regular and reliable testing.
    • Direct the federal government to create an easy-to-read Nationwide Pandemic Dashboard that Americans can check in real-time to help them gauge whether local transmission is actively occurring in their zip codes. This information is critical to helping all individuals, but especially older Americans and others at high risk, understand what level of precaution to take.
    Create “Safer for Shoppers” Program: The economy will not fully come back until consumers feel safe again. The Safer for Shoppers voluntary federal program will:

• Provide state, tribal, and local governments with funding and technical assistance for their public health departments to certify business as compliant with testing procedures and other best practices for reducing transmission and to conduct spot-checks as necessary.
    • Compliant businesses would receive a “Safer for Shoppers” sign to display so shoppers would know that the businesses have done what they can to minimize the risk of exposure.
    Restart Small Business: President Trump’s corrupt economic response has routinely favored corporations over small businesses and largely shut out minority business owners from COVID-19 recovery funds. Biden refuses to allow this crisis to inflict further economic pain on working families and communities of color. Biden would:

• Provide an ambitious “restart package” that provides small business owners support for retaining and rehiring workers, as well as for fixed costs as long as they are bringing back workers.
    • Support work-sharing so that small businesses — and larger ones, too — can bring back all of their workers, even if they are not operating at full capacity, with the federal government making up the difference.
    • Provide grants for businesses to cover the costs of restarting in this challenging environment, including for supplies like personal protective equipment and plexiglass to use as a barrier to reduce transmission risk.
    • Swiftly end the racial inequity in small business support by ensuring that minority-owned businesses get effective access to all of these tools, as well as access to technical assistance — such as accounting support and legal advice — so that they are not shut out of federal aid programs.
    EDITED for word count

https://joebiden.com/reopening/

7. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

If you're a control junkie, it makes a lot of sense. Ever work a shop that's been slammed by OSHA. They can always find something wrong, they never give advice to rectify the problem because that would get in the way of their consulting gig, and the fines are outrageous. Plus don't forget the selective enforcement option.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  8. Mopar Dude

Oh cripes.... This is a trial lawyers playground.

9. Mopar Dude

Jeez. I can’t get over this. I been paying for Obama’s feel good policies for years. Now I guess I get to foot the bill for Covid testing so we can do business. Oh well.. As long as the Dems don’t take on any additional expense, I’m sure it is fine.

10. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

No additional expenses, yeh right. What if we all went full John Galt. Their plans don't work without lots of OPM.

11. Mopar Dude

Obamacare
    LEED (green building)
    E-Verify
    Buy American Act

All feel good programs that sounded like sunshine on a beach. They are nothing but an expense line for people that pay the bills. And I bet the next four years will be the same.

12. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

Don't forget New Green Deal and Ham.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  13. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Do you not notice that everything comes down to the almighty dollar over and over and over and over......

How many times can you ignore this? My guess is forever.