Has anyone heard the story of Sergeant Bowe Robert Bergdahl?

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by PTD, Oct 21, 2012.

1. PTD
    Fiendish

PTD Administrator Moderator

I just saw some people posting about this on Facebook today (link below). It seems that we have a soldier who was taken captive in Afghanistan way back in 2009, and it's being suggested that he's still alive and being held as a prisoner of war. Not to sound crass, but these enemies we have in Afghanistan, they're not the type to actually keep one of ours alive for that long, are they? Is there any hope for Sgt Bergdahl? For his family? It would be nice if he were rescued alive and brought home.

http://bringbowehomewod.com

2. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

Well, there were negotiations just this summer to obtain his release. The last video of him dates from May of last year, I believe, so I agree that it's somewhat doubtful whether he's actually still alive. Still, he's one of the few bargaining points that the Taliban have, and they don't gain anything by killing him. Unfortunately, it sounds like the negotiations are stalled.

I don't think that his family will give up hope until there's solid evidence that he's dead, nor should they. I read that he had escaped last December, but was recaptured after three days. I personally think that's the most likely route to a good outcome, at this point. No telling what sort of work is going on behind the scenes to find and rescue him, though. Certainly we wouldn't be hearing anything about such an operation until it had succeeded.

3. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

4 people like this.
  4. JoeNation
    Cheerful

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

Is this the same guy that went AWOL and then got himself captured?

5. rlm's cents
    Hot

rlm's cents Well-Known Member

To be determined.

6. David

David Proud Enemy of Hillary

Boy, I saw those 5 Taliban prisoner's profiled on NBC...they are some pretty bad characters. It's kinda scary to think what they may do once they rejoin the fight.
    When did we start negotiating with terrorists anyway?

7. JoeNation
    Cheerful

Under Reagan. He traded weapons for 7 Americans held in Lebanon and then when they were released, the group holding them promptly took 3 more American hostage. We just call it the Reagan policy now. Good question.

View attachment 2544

Remember?

8. JoeNation
    Cheerful

Sat May 31, 2014 at 08:33 PM PDT
    Ronald Reagan Gave Iran 1,500 Missiles for Hostages. Obama Trades Five Guys? GOP Heads Explode.

by David Harris Gershon

I don't want to hear another word about GOP lawmakers chest-thumping and foaming-at-the-mouth about the fact that Obama traded, without the requisite 30-day notice to Congress, five indefinitely detained prisoners for the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
    You know why? Because history:
    In 1985, while Iran and Iraq were at war, Iran made a secret request to buy weapons from the United States. McFarlane sought President Reagan's approval, in spite of the embargo against selling arms to Iran. McFarlane explained that the sale of arms would not only improve U.S. relations with Iran, but might in turn lead to improved relations with Lebanon, increasing U.S. influence in the troubled Middle East. Reagan was driven by a different obsession. He had become frustrated at his inability to secure the release of the seven American hostages being held by Iranian terrorists in Lebanon. As president, Reagan felt that "he had the duty to bring those Americans home."​
    [...]​
    The arms-for-hostages proposal divided the administration. Longtime policy adversaries Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger and Secretary of State George Shultz opposed the deal, but Reagan, McFarlane and CIA director William Casey supported it. With the backing of the president, the plan progressed. By the time the sales were discovered, more than 1,500 missiles had been shipped to Iran. Three hostages had been released, only to be replaced with three more, in what Secretary of State George Shultz called "a hostage bazaar."
    So GOP lawmakers are apoplectic about Obama not giving Congress the 30-day notice required by law before transferring any detainee from Guantanamo Bay, men who have mostly been detained without charge?
    But will raise President Reagan upon a pillar, a man who gave sold Iran over 1,500 missiles for the release of U.S. hostages?
    I have one response: shut up and sit down. Class is in session.

9. David

So, because Reagan may or may not have done something, you think it's okay for BO to release 5 dangerous Taliban terrorists? I sthat your justification for what BO did?

10. JoeNation
    Cheerful

You asked when we started negotiating with terrorists. And there is no "may or may not have" it is a matter of public record. Why do you ask questions that you don't want the answers to?

I didn't say anything justified anything, I simply answered your question.

11. David

Additionally, we sure seemed to get the short end of the deal, for sure. 5 dangerous Taliban fighters for, at best, a screw-up and at worst a military deserter/enemy sympathizer? Not only is BO negotiating with terrorists, he is doing a miserable job of it.

12. JoeNation
    Cheerful

Of course he isn't doing 1,500 missiles bad is he?

What would Ronnie do?

13. David

"First, let me say I take full responsibility for my own actions and for those of my administration. As angry as I may be about activities undertaken without my knowledge, I am still accountable for those activities. As disappointed as I may be in some who served me, I'm still the one who must answer to the American people for this behavior"- Ronald Reagan

Think BO would ever make a statement like this?

14. JoeNation
    Cheerful

So his strategy was to blame others for his lack of leadership and play stupid?

15. rlm's cents
    Hot

So far, everything has been Bush's fault or Fox's fault. I haven't yet figure what they had to do with Obamacare or the IRS or Benghazi or .......

2 people like this.
  16. rlm's cents
    Hot

Obama's? Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 people like this.
  17. JoeNation
    Cheerful

Here's the difference... Obama would never have to make a statement like this because Democrats aren't the puppets Republicans are.

18. rlm's cents
    Hot

I guess you party has become so liberalized that have to disavow "the buck stops here".

19. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC Donald Trump For President In 2020

As more is becoming known about this story, Bergdahl is beginning to be seen as a deserter. I hope that's not the case, but we will have to wait to see.

I hate that our country negotiated with terrorists and released five killers back into the wild, but that fact could probably be forgiven if Bergdahl had, indeed, been captured.

However, if he was a deserter and our government was aware of that fact, but still traded five members of the enemy for him, our citizens will be a lot less forgiving.

20. JoeNation
    Cheerful

Whether he was a deserter or suffering PTSD or was captured taking a walk on the battlefield is irrelevant. He IS a US soldier and we do not leave our fighting men and women behind. That has been the long standing policy in this country forever. We do whatever it takes to bring our soldiers home. Like so many of our long-held beliefs, this one too also seems to have been forgotten once one political party realized that there was a black guy in the White House. You idiots are fooling nobody. We see through your couched racism.