Hello Partisans

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Recusant, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

The owner of this site booted all contemporary political discussions off of the history site he also now owns, redirecting the politics section to this place. I've been a member of the other forum for a little over two years, and will miss some of the political discussions we had there, in particular some of the fine writing produced by members there on political topics. I'm sorry to see that while the political discussions at Historum are no longer accessible, even in read-only archive form, they have not been moved here, either. I consider this a regrettable loss.

In the hope that some of the more articulate members from Historum will eventually join Partisan Lines and contribute to discussions here, I have become a member of Partisan Lines. I doubt that I will contribute much to political discussion here, however; my participation in political discussions at the other site was limited as it was.

Still, I've decided to introduce myself rather than just lurk indefinitely, unannounced.

In my youth, I was a collectivist anarchist with (non-Randian) libertarian tendencies. I have not entirely renounced any of these ideals, but the realism of age (I'm well past the half century mark) has led me to accept that the human race is not now, and may never be capable of operating according to them. Despite my libertarian tendencies, I consider most modern libertarians contemptible, as well as true believers of practically any political party you care to name. I find things to disagree with in the policies of both the left and the right, but often find the right's actions to be even more despicable than the left's.

I've read through some of the threads here, and I find the rancor and vituperation in many of them amusing. When I feel a need to practice my polemics and invective, perhaps I will endeavor to contribute here.

Best wishes

2. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :)

3. IQless1
    Blah

IQless1 trump supporters are scum

It's only occasionally mildly amusing... then other people comment. Good luck anyway.

4. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

This place is just entertainment. No real political discussion happens nor anything bordering on debate. Sorry to disappoint but you're certainly welcome to jump into the mud anytime you wish. The knuckle draggers drive off anyone that tries to hold a polite conversation so people tend to come for a short time and then leave thus keeping those of limited cognitive abilities right where they want to be, listening to their own narratives. Nothing makes them happier.

2 people like this.
  5. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

Thank you for the welcome, and the comments. I had been reading threads for a while before I made the OP above, so I certainly am not disappointed. As I said, one of the main reasons that I came here originally was to see if the political threads from the other site had been migrated here. It seems they have been dumped or are otherwise in internet limbo. Now I just stop by once in a while to see what folks here are talking about. It provides a modicum of balance to the other political forum I visit, which is rabidly right-wing, shading into tin-foil hat territory.

6. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

There really is no difference between the political extremes. They meet on the crazy side of the political circle. The RW'ers have simply condensed their crazy side into much a tighter group in the last few years. I guess you could say that they have become denser if that is even possible. :eek:

2 people like this.
  7. PTD
    Fiendish

PTD Administrator Moderator

They're in limbo. Currently the server wouldn't handle the load of integrating them into this forum. I have a new server that I'm setting up, came online yesterday in fact, that may handle the load better. It'll take a bit of work to get all that data, and I want to touch bases with the members who created it first too, so it's not a simple process to say the least.

8. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

Thank you for your reply, Peter T Davis. I understand that there are issues with copyright regarding posts made on internet fora, and that you may decide that it's inadvisable to put content from one forum onto another, even as an archive. I respect that, as I respect your decision regarding the direction of the other site. I only mentioned this issue because I consider it unfortunate that access to this content will possibly be lost. Though admittedly a large percentage of it will be not be missed, there was some fine work in there too, by contributors such as "DIVUS IVLIVS."