How badly do Trump's behaviors taint your support for him?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, Nov 20, 2020.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

I am not a Trump supporter. Not news to any of you I am sure. So I really can't gauge how much his refusal to abide by perfectly clear election results might be affecting the support from those that voted for him is having. Is this behavior making you regret your vote? Is this behavior reinforcing your support for him?

I can only speak for myself as a non-Trump supporter and I find his behaviors range from embarrassing to dangerous for the country. He lost every single court challenge, many by judges the GOP appointed. He is now trying to subvert the election process itself by interfering in the certification process and trying to rally State GOP officials to support his grievances, and then there is of course, the whole Rudy Giuliani circus sideshow.

My guess is that his final play will be an attempt to garner sympathy with the military crowd to takeover the country. I know and you know that none of this will end up working in the end but given his irrational behaviors, are you more apt to support him if he runs in 2024 or less apt to support him?

2. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm now of the belief this whole thing is a distraction to delay the transition generally. It buys the time to cover up evidence of potential wrongdoings.

3. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

Good series of questions. I see his behavior as embarrassing but not necessarily dangerous. I trust the safe guards embedded in the system. Technically, no one has won until the electoral college cast their votes and it is his right to contest the reported results up to that point. After which, the college has spoken, and if Biden wins, he will step down, either briefcase in hand through the front door or handcuffs on wrist though the back door.
    The interesting thing about Trump is, he's not a Democrat or Republican. In my state, we had 2 Republican candidates running in the primary. One was endorsed by Mitch McConnell and Ted Cruz, the other by Trump. Trump is an outsider, that is why the 4th branch of government, the bureaucracy, is dead set opposed to him. Outsiders tend to shake thing up, disrupt the SOP's. Sometimes it is needed every now and then to spark innovation and wake a stagnated system. Don't ever listen to what someone says, look at what they do.

CoinBlazer and Mopar Dude like this.
  4. JoeNation
    Angelic

I hope that you are right c jay. It is embarrassing and reflects badly on the entire GOP. I get why they aren't speaking up. They are afraid of Trump tweeting out any criticism of them or just calling them a RINO. That alone would be enough for the Trump base to walk away from supporting these self-interested GOP members. Trump could also continue to tweet after he is out of office and make their lives hell. That is their real fear. The GOP knows that Trump owns the Republican base. He likely will into the foreseeable future. It is the Trump Party now and the GOP is no more than a poor red-headed stepchild that has no choice but to flinch at Trump's every foolish pronouncement via twitter. If there has ever been a better example of someone crawling into bed with the devil, I can't think of it.

5. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

what if the next "trump" is much smarter than this one though? really scary

6. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Yes, I am very disappointed in the man. My vote was a vote for conservative principal as I am not an admirer of the man..... I have typed two different soliloquies and erased them both. I’ll just sum it up like this. The example that is being set for emerging democracies not to mention the example being set for our kids is unacceptable. My fine gentlemanly demeanor or rapidly being replaced by a pissed of country boy. I am like @c jay and don’t find his actions dangerous to the nation per se. however the fallout will be felt for years to come.

7. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

Are conservatives here at all worried about future Republican elections? On one hand, Trump has mobilized liberals to organize and become politically active more than ever before. On the other hand, people have kind of short attention spans.

@Mopar Dude bonus question, because you're from SC and this may be considered dangerous to our nation: what's your take on Lindsey Graham's alleged inquiry into getting legitimate votes in Georgia thrown out?

8. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

As much as I abhor Trump I hope it's not in handcuffs and believe me I'd REALLY love to see him in cuffs.

Reason? If it gets to that point it means he's taken even more time to do damage to our country.

9. Mopar Dude

It isn’t liberals that trouble me. I am old but I do still have a heart. My concern is controls of all three branches of government by either faction. That is a dangerous situation particularly in the heated political climate we live in today. These days there isn’t enough forward thinking put forth to arrive at the long term results of policy initiatives. And that goes both ways.

As far as Graham. I abhor the man. He is the most grandstanding weasel of a politician that holds any office. See, I met the man somewhat intimately some years back and I know he has no soul at all. He thrives on the spotlight and will do or say anything to have that spotlight without recompense. I wouldn’t piss on him if he were on fire.

10. JoeNation
    Angelic

I think you may be confused about the three branches of government. Currently, Republicans control 1/2 of the Legislative Branch, the Executive Branch, and the Judicial Branch. That is almost complete control of the government. Is that OK? How are things after four years of nearly total control? After January 20th, Democrats will control the Executive branch, Republicans will control the Judicial Branch, Democrats will control 1/2 of the Legislative Branch, and who knows which party will control the other half, probably the Republicans. That seems about as even as it gets. You must be elated.

11. Mopar Dude

It’s all about keeping each other in check. Same as having referees on the football field.

12. JoeNation
    Angelic

But, what I'm saying is that Republicans, as of the 2020 election, had nearly total control and you again voted for Republicans. So are you really for checks and balances or are you for checks and balances as long as the party you voted for is in control? Do you see why I am confused here? You say that you want the two parties to have checks and balances but you don't vote that way.

13. Mopar Dude

I don’t vote a straight Republican ticket. I only did that once and that was the first time I voted and was too young to know better. Yes, I really am for checks and balances. Both directions.

14. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

You can vote Republican straight up and down! Wow, what's it like. I can only vote Democrat from congressman on down since they're one man races. We do get a choice for Senate and the President, sometimes Governor. Cool.

15. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

If Trump runs in 2024, I pray to the almighty God that he has a Primary challenger, I’d vote for nearly any other GOP member besides Trump, but I would vote for Trump before any of the 2020 Dem candidates, see the balance here?

16. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

no. not unless you know who the dem candidates are. you don't even know what the makeup oc the house and senate will be then. we know you guys would vote for a dem if the house and congress are GOP "for balance"

17. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

I held my nose when I voted for Trump. It's a good thing for him that he stinks less than the Democratic candidates. Otherwise, he'd never have been elected in the first place.

Republicans need another candidate who is a principled straight-shooter, isn't afraid to commit on the record, and will follow through on those commitments like Trump did, but doesn't offend the masses with his lack of communication skills.

18. JoeNation
    Angelic

Trump followed through? In what alternative universe? Did he lower the deficit? Did he build a wall and force Mexico to pay for it? Did he average his 4% growth? Did he pivot to the most presidential person ever? Did get all those easy trade deals he promised? Did he ever come up with Obama care replacement? Did he ever put out that infrastructure plan he promised?

The truth is that he promised a lot and delivered next to nothing and found that the idiots that bought his lies are still buying them.