Infamous televangelist who declared ‘Jesus is the vaccine’ mocked in local newspaper after getting a

Discussion in 'Religion' started by FryDaddyJr, Mar 30, 2021.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

San Antonio megachurch pastor John Hagee contracted COVID-19 back in October after hosting numerous indoor church services that were lax on pandemic guidelines. Speaking to his congregation in November after he recovered, he suggested to his followers that their faith in Jesus is enough to protect them from the virus.

"I bring under the authority of Jesus Christ every sickness and every disease and especially the COVID thing that's sweeping this nation," he said at the time. "We have a vaccine. The name is Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God. Let Him sweep through this country and heal the righteous who dare to ask for it. Heal our church members. Restore them rapidly. Let the name of Jesus Christ be exalted, because He is Lord over all."

Nevertheless, Hagee went ahead and got the COVID vaccine, according to a statement to ABC News from his church -- a move that his hometown newspaper the San Antonio Current slammed as the epitome of hypocrisy.

Tired of ads? Want to support our progressive journalism? Click to learn more.
    "While it's true that prayer and medicine aren't mutually exclusive, that certainly wasn't the message Hagee was sharing with his flock last fall," the Current's Sanford Nowlin writes. "After contracting COVID-19, the 80-year-old pastor seemed to imply that Jesus' blessing was all it took to beat the pandemic."

Infamous televangelist who declared ‘Jesus is the vaccine’ mocked in local newspaper after getting a real vaccine - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism

2. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

A broad target for mocking, and I don't fault the paper for doing it. Hagee promotes some odious nonsense. On the other hand, I think a paper would do more good, both for itself and for the community, to praise him for showing willingness to learn from his mistakes. They then could add to the positive reinforcement by suggesting he encourage his flock to get vaccinated. He has some influence with a demographic that is particularly resistant to the idea of getting the vaccine.

3. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Ever the high road. Is it just me or does wisdom always take away the fun? :D