Interesting times ahead for Illinois

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, Dec 6, 2019.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

On January 1st, recreational cannabis is legal in the state of Illinois. It became legal in Michigan awhile ago but they only started selling it recently in a few locations. Interesting to live in the Midwest when this is happening. You kind of expect it in the coastal states but the Midwest will definitely have a novel approach to both the business and the use of cannabis I recon.

There are a lot of benefits to the legalization of cannabis and I suppose some hazards too. Economically, it is a windfall especially in states with large population centers like Chicago. It will decrease incarceration rates cost us all less in prison costs, decrease cannabis flowing across the border from Mexico tamping down on drug trafficking, free up local police departments to pay more attention to more serious crimes, and add who knows how many jobs to the states.

Ah, if I was only 20 again I might actually be excited about this development.

Your thoughts?

2. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I am not a prude and do not mind admitting now that during the rock star phase of my life, I certainly did consume a few recreational tidbits..... Long ago I read a report somewhere. And quite honestly I cannot verify the accuracy of the report but the gist of the thing always stuck with me. The whole meat of the report was that the long term effect regular cannabis use was to rob a person of their drive and motivation. And being far too transparent for a public forum, I have witnessed exactly this in my youngest son. As a 28 year old man he has no more drive in life than to figure out a way to get his next twenty bucks to buy a joint. It breaks my heart...... There is just no way around it. Cannabis is a gateway to further drug use, to poor company and to not have any motivation in life. It is one of those things that I thought 180 degrees differently about as a young man. But having seen it rob my son of any desire to do anything productive, I believe it is just a pathway to a dead end.

JoeNation likes this.
  3. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN Active Member

I am still on the fence on this subject. There's certainly pros and cons. Has been weird to travel to some cities where it is legal and see it happening on the public streets and parks. I was in Seattle in June and, my lord, it was as though a skunk had sprayed every street corner.

4. SmalltownMN
    Doh

Randy, I too have seen this very thing in my step-son. 27 years old and just doesn't have a clue. I don't know if the pot is all too blame though. I'm sure it's not helping, but, at least with my step-son, he just plain didn't mature. I have a cousin that has been smoking since high school, thirty years now. She gets along just fine, is a traveling RN. I really think it's the individual and the overall choices they make.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  5. JoeNation
    Angelic

Smoking regularly definitely kills your motivation. I read a study that said that getting high replaces the rewards that you normally associate with working, like getting paid at the end of the week, feeling good about doing a good job, being able to provide for your family. In other words, the high becomes the reward.

My oldest son is an addiction researcher at the University of Minnesota. They mostly look at heroin, cocaine, nicotine, and other harder drugs but addiction is addiction. The gateway argument has been debunked for years. It isn't that cannabis causes you to want to use heroin or cocaine more, it is more that the cultures often intersect through convert associations. Legalizing cannabis takes those two worlds and tears the association apart.

Cannabis is like anything else you over use. It will take it's toll eventually. I don't see it as all that different than alcohol. My wife and I go out to dinner a couple of times a week. She has a margarita and I have one beer or a diet coke. That is about as much as I ever drink then I start hitting the water. I have had so many relatives succumb to alcoholism and yet I have never had a problem.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  6. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I could say the exact same thing about my son. His actions to me are more of a 16 year olds actions. I think back when I was 28. I had finished an eight year career in the Army and was setting the foundations for building a business. And it just breaks my heart that I see absolutely zero potential in my own son. Perhaps it is just easier for me to blame it on the pot usage though it is likely my own fault.

This does make sense to me. I hadn't considered it quite that way before. It is the associations that cause further decay in a persons actions. If you surround yourself with drug users, then you are likely going to be a drug user.

7. JoeNation
    Angelic

Exactly, I used to say the same thing to my kids. If you hang around with people that are doing drugs, you are far more likely to do drugs. You can't quit doing drugs and then hang around with people that keep doing them. That's why they counsel you to avoid hang around your old drinking buddies in AA. The temptation is just too great when you have an addiction.

8. SmalltownMN
    Doh

Truer words were never spoken. @CoinBlazer , pay attention young man. You have a damn good head on your shoulders...........do your best to keep it that way.

Mopar Dude likes this.