Kite Flying Days

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bonedigger, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger Another Wandering Celt

Was just wondering how high any of you have flown a kite. It doesn't need to be accurate, just a guess will do. Perhaps you have another harrowing kite adventure you'd care to share???

Once my nephew and I hooked a (Super-Box) kite with 300 yds of nylon line to a deep sea fishing rig with 600 yds of 30lb test. We got it at least 800yds up before getting scared the line would break. It was like fighting a fish to bring that thing down and when we finally got it to the ground it appeared to have been shot, there were three bullet holes in it, LOL

Bone

2. quick dog

quick dog New Member

Recommended book to read. The Kite Runner.

It was written by my doctor's brother-in-law who was also a physician at Kaiser Permanente North (HMO).

Really fine book written by an Afghan immigrant.

3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger Another Wandering Celt

I see Khaled Hosseini wrote it. What's it about? I may purchase it.

Bone

4. quick dog

quick dog New Member

It reads like an autobiography, and covers the modern period in Afghanistan. The story has a lot of sub-plots that are nicely woven. It involves the Soviet invasion, the Taliban years, and later years. It is not a political rag, one way or another. Hosseini is not Charles Dickens, but his book was a NY best seller and is a page-turner. He does not practice medicine any longer, which might tell you something.

5. julzboi661

julzboi661 New Member

i have an accurately balanced stunt kite. w/ 2 handles that i merged.

so basically, i attached it to a good length of 90 lb test fishingline, and flew it 150 yrds (all on the spool, plus a 2 foot solid steel braided leader.