More fallout from Obamacare.....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by David, Nov 12, 2011.

1. David

David Proud Enemy of Hillary

Saw this on C-Span last night:
    The average insurance premium for a family will increase 24% due to BO mandates
    CBO estimates Obamacare will cost the economy 800,000 jobs
    The true number of "uninsured" is 12 million, not 40 million
    BO's personal economist, Paul Krugman, says Obamacare is not sustainable without tax increases

2 people like this.
  2. IQless1
    Blah

IQless1 trump supporters are scum

In 1998 my premium for basic health insurance was about $650. About one and a half to two years later, after the insurance industry decided it was time to fleece the public more, it doubled to about $1500. I couldn't afford that so I now go without insurance. 10 or 11 years later and I have no idea how much insurance costs... only that it is too expensive.

My point is that insurance will increase no matter what happens. The insurance industry will raise premiums at will, whether Obama was President or McCain or Bush Jr., it doesn't matter who. The industry is going to make their money no matter what, and I'm sure the idea of everyone in America being forced to have insurance has made them even more delighted. Just as they were when the public was forced to buy car insurance.

3. HollysMom

HollysMom New Member

I agree, IQless1. I have no insurance because I can't afford it. The sad thing is, I have a professor that swears that the "Affordable Insurance Act" is the best thing for the mental health profession since sliced bread. We even have to do research proposals on how the act affects integrated health care. It's going to be a long nine weeks--thank Heaven we only have four more in-class meetings--the rest being done on computer. I'm not sure how long I can avoid saying, "you might be in favor of that piece of legislation, but I don't think that 50% of my grade should rest on supporting your agenda."

4. David

Okay, now add an additional 24% on top of that!
    I say we first need to seperate one's healthcare from one's employment...completely take the employer out of the picture. Then we need to make it so we can buy health insurance in the same manner you buy any other insurance product. With more competition prices would be pressured down & by eliminating the workplace connection people wouldn't have to settle for what the employer decides.

2 people like this.
  5. David

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I would agree seperate personal health care from your employment
    The employer should only be responsible if your health care claim is work related ie accident at work or a health issue brought on by a working enviroment
    Then make the employer 100% liable for any cover

7. David

BO didn't exactly lie when he claimed we could keep our current insurance, if we are happy with it, but what he failed to mention is the fact that we will be subjected to gov't run healthcare if our private insurance rates increase.
    Anyone catch how well the Post Ofc is doing these days? Can we really expect the gov't to run healthcare differently?

2 people like this.
  8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Yep and I would sugest that you try blaming Congress for that mess David not the President, he has nothing to do with the US Mail system
    Article I, section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution grants Congress the power to establish post offices and post roads, which has been interpreted as a de facto Congressional monopoly over the delivery of mail

9. rlm's cents
    Hot

rlm's cents Well-Known Member

I don't think David said that the PO was BO's problem.
    In fact, I read his comments to say that the gov't can no more be expected to run Obamacare well than they have succeeded in running the PO well. And, despite its common name, it will be the gov't running it when BO is gone - assuming that it still exists.

2 people like this.
  10. justafarmer

justafarmer Active Member

The biggest problem with spiraling healthcare cost is healthcare insurance. People who have health insurance don't care how much they spend for health care - they are only concerned with how much they spend on insurance. The poor aren't concerned with the cost of healthcare because they couldn't afford to pay for it no matter the cost. In ost cases the government ends up paying for their healthcare anyway. Insurance companies do not care about the general rise in the cost of healthcare - they only care about how much a specific individual cost them in healthcare. How big a risk you are. In fact Insurance Companies embrace a general rise in healthcare cost - that way they can implement a general increase in premiums. 6% of a $500.00 dollar premium is less money than 6% of a $600.00 pemium. For health insurance to be viable overall - not only does it need to cover the costs associated with providing healthcare and the profits thereof - it must also cover the costs and profits on the insurance companies. So insurance in and of itself makes healthcare more expensive. Add the government into the picture and now your insurance premiums will have to cover the costs of an additional 3rd beaucracy.

2 people like this.
  11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Well as David blames the President for everything regardless of who is to actually blame and as he mentioned the President with his very 1st word, I rest my case

12. rlm's cents
    Hot

rlm's cents Well-Known Member

Yea, that is about as strong as I thought your case was. I rest my case also.