National Day of Prayer; May 3, 2007

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bonedigger, May 3, 2007.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 New Member

A lot of words, Drusus, but not much rational content. I'm not sure why you don't believe communism and dictatorship are connected. I'm not sure why you don't believe that communism and atheism are connected. I'm not sure why you don't see that once atheist butchers like Stalin were put into power by a Christian population, that misery resulted. I'm not sure why you believe that Judeo-Christian traditions don't link moral behavior with consequences. I'm not sure why you think Hitler was preferable to the Kaiser. I'm not sure why you believe that once elected to power, an athiest will automatically govern rationally and with logic other than by brute force. I'm not sure why you believe that religion was the cause of every bad thing done by Hitler, Stalin and Mao. And you refer to my belief that it is better to have national leadership well-grounded in a Judeo-Christian system of morality that teaches that all people are created in the image of God as "insane." But that is your choice.

2. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

There is an obvious division of beliefs here that probably can't be bridged. Fair enough. If Cloudy believes that any elected leader needs the benefit of an organized religion in order to have a moral grounding, so be it. Drus and I believe that the moral grounding already exists within people whether they believe in God or not, fine. In reality, Cloudy has nothing to worry about because openly Atheist candidates have little chance of being elected to any office in this nontheistphobic country anyway. It makes me a bit nervous that we accept this discrimination in our country without question and that the only answer seems to be forming some sort of Atheistc Alliance to make our concerns heard by those that misunderstand our lack of belief in their God.
    In the book, "The God Delusion", Richard Dawkins explains that Atheists are the greatest untapped resource in this country. If this group got together and asserted it's power over society it would certainly change the face of politics as we know it. Imagine how threatened the established religions of this country would be and what they might do in response to this new movement. I believe it would bring out a little Stalin in all of them.

3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 New Member

I agree.

4. OldDan

OldDan New Member

I'm sure you are right this time Mr. Moen. It's just that I'm not so sure it would be spelled "Stalin" , but rather "Winchester".

5. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

I dunno, it might be spelled TNT, Fertilizer bomb, IED...:thumb: