Obama Flip-Flops On Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CoinOKC, May 9, 2012.

1. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC Donald Trump For President In 2020

2. David

David Proud Enemy of Hillary

According to Axelrod & Gibbs, BO's view on the issue has been "evolving". Reading between the lines BO was just looking for the right time to flip-flop. Can you say pandering?

3. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

I'll say that Joke Biden's recent comments may have tipped Obama over the edge on this issue and he felt that now was as good a time as any to flip-flop.

View attachment 446

4. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

It's says volumes that you think that Obama's changing his mind is a sin that negates that fact that he's finally doing the right thing. Now that we have Obama on board maybe it's time to work on Mittens. You know him. The guy who used to kinda be on our side but reversed course once he decided that it was more important to cave in and pander to radical Christian theocrats and RW knuckle draggers that it was to tell them that they are wrong.

5. David

Think about what you just said. As stupid as Biden is he still influences BO's opinion on issues! That's some inner circle BO has there.

6. David

Chuck Todd/NBC reported this morning that BO was for gay marriage several years ago (before he was against it but now he's kinda for it if the states are in favor of it) so this really isn't a flip-flop, it's more of a flip-flop-flip.
    So is this newest stance on a social issue a result of Biden's interview over the weekend or a campaign ploy? You can't say it's a firmly held value at this point.

2 people like this.
  7. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

In politics, it's very possible that Joke Biden was told to make that remark. Once said, then Obama needed to respond. This could have given Obama an opportunity to flip-flop on the issue without just waking up one day and saying, "Hey, I'm going to flip-flop".

It makes Biden look stupid for making such an Administration-averse comment, but allowed Obama to bring the issue to the front and assure the votes of the gay community this November. I'm certain he realized that many in the gay community became apathetic toward him since 2008, but this move will get them to actually go vote.

I'm actually glad that Obama came out (so to speak) in favor of gay marriage. What I see as absolutely absurd is the fact that he totally, completely, utterly and overwhelmingly FLIP-FLOPPED on the issue while, at the same time his ardent, wide-eyed, goose-stepping supporters condemn Romney for "evolving" on issues, too. Does anyone here see the hypocrisy in that?

Come on, you little goose-steppers... will any one of you call out Obama for flip-flopping on this?

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I have to ask this as well, has NO Republican ever been influenced by the team he/she has around them while in office?

9. rlm's cents
    Hot

rlm's cents Well-Known Member

Believe me, it is far from that statement that makes Biden look stupid. He had a major running start on that from long ago.

Have you ever seen any of them break ranks?

10. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

I just have to wonder, with the perfectly lubricated weather vane you guys support, why Obama taking a long time and to actually come out and support a position is flip flopping to you guys? If you want to see a guy that has really flip flopped on this same issue, look no further than Mitt-flop Romney. Here are Obama's statements over many years:

FEBRUARY 1996: “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages,” reads a typed, signed statement from then-Illinois state senate candidate Obama in response to a questionnaire by the Chicago LGBT newspaper “Outlines.” White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer later publicly disavowed the statement, claiming in June 2011 that the questionnaire was “actually filled out by someone else.”

OCTOBER 2004:What I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman … What I believe, in my faith, is that a man and a woman, when they get married, are performing something before God, and it’s not simply the two persons who are meeting,” then-U.S. Senate candidate Obama said in an interview with WTTW Chicago public television.
    “That doesn’t mean that that necessarily translates into a position on public policy or with respect to civil unions. What it does mean is that we have a set of traditions in place that, I think, need to be preserved, but I also think we need to make sure that gays and lesbians have the same set of basic rights that are in place.
    “I don’t think marriage is a civil right,” Obama said when asked whether there’s an inherent right to marry.

OCTOBER 2010:I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage,” President Obama said during an interview with liberal bloggers. “But I also think you’re right that attitudes evolve, including mine. And I think that it is an issue that I wrestle with and think about because I have a whole host of friends who are in gay partnerships.”

DECEMBER 2010:My feelings about this are constantly evolving. I struggle with this. At this point, what I’ve said is, is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have,” Obama said in response to a question from ABC’s Jake Tapper at a White House press conference.
    “I recognize that from their perspective it is not enough, and I think is something that we’re going to continue to debate and I personally am going to continue to wrestle with going forward,” he said.

JUNE 2011:The president has never favored same-sex marriage. He is against it. The country is evolving on this, and he is evolving on it,” Pfeiffer told progressive activists at the Net Roots Nation conference.

JUNE 2011: I think it’s important for us to work through these issues because each community is going to be different, each state is going to be different,” Obama said when asked during a White House news conference about New York becoming the latest state to legalize same-sex marriage.
    “I think what you’re seeing is a profound recognition on the part of the American people that gays and lesbians and transgender persons are our brothers, our sisters, our children, our cousins, our friends, our co-workers, and that they’ve got to be treated like every other American,” he said. “And I think that principle will win out. It’s not going to be perfectly smooth, and it turns out that the president — I’ve discovered since I’ve been in this office — can’t dictate precisely how this process moves.”

OCTOBER 2011: “I’m still working on it,” Obama said when asked by ABC’s George Stephanopoulos whether he would move from supporting civil unions for same-sex couples to supporting gay marriage.
    “I probably won’t make news right now, George. But I think that there’s no doubt that as I see friends, families children of gay couples who are thriving, you know, that has an impact on how I think about these issues.”

I'm just glad at the end of his decision making process that he came to the right conclusion and you should be too. Discrimination of any kind should not be tolerated. The country has evolved on the issue of gay marriage and so has our president. I see nothing wrong with going in the right direction on this issue and your guy seems to be headed in the other direction but the day is young.

2 people like this.
  11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Please keep the thread on Topic and do not drift off into other areas of discussion, What his advisors might or might not have done is not part of the topic under discussion. Any deviation will be dealt with :D

12. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

Of course he "flip-flopped" and I'm glad he did. Apparently it counts for little with you guys that he flip-flopped in the right direction. It's pathetic if this flip-flop thing the best you can throw at the guy. You look silly. There are so many other valid things to criticize him for and you're focused on this. Your time would be better spent encouraging Mittens, the Mother Lode of flip flops, to make the same change in his position. But then party hacks never criticize The Leader do they?

13. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

Well, thank you for admitting that Obama "flip-flopped". That took courage, I'm certain. But, I have to ask, are you only OK with someone "flip-flopping" if their final "flip-flop" agrees with your position or that you consider it the right decision on the final "flip" (or would that be the "flop")?

14. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

It took no courage at all. You're just looking sillier and sillier. And you're being absolutely irrational if you are asserting that changing one's mind is in and of itself wrong no matter what the reasons, circumstances or the nature of the new conclusion.

2 people like this.
  15. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

Back on topic please discuss the Presidents Flip Flopping and not anything else.
    Thank You

16. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

So, you think it's OK for Obama to "flip" (or is it "flop") or as you may call it a "new conclusion", but only if you agree with the FLIP/FLOP/NEW CONCLUSION?

2 people like this.
  17. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

No, typically you miss the point. I'm pretty sure that this is intentional, but I'll play along. Where do you get the "only" part?

18. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

You said that Obama flip-flopped. On that conclusion, we can agree. Now, I'm asking if you think it's OK that Obama flip-flopped. Here, I'll put it in the form of a question: "Do you think it's OK that Obama flip-flopped"? YES NO (Please choose one answer).

I'm quite aware that you agree with Obama's decision to now support gay marriage as you also, I presume, support gay marriage. As I've stated previously, I support gay marriage (or simply "marriage"), too.

Please remain on topic this is about him flip flopping on the issue of Gay marriage and not any other form of flip flop, if you wish to ask that question please start another thread
    Thank You

19. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

So let me make sure I understand you. What you are asserting is that it is a universal given that changing one's position on an issue is in and of itself a bad thing regardless of the nature of the new conclusion.

20. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

View attachment 447 The issue of gay marriage has evolved substantially in this country since the 1990's and Obama has evolved exactly in the same direction as the country has evolved while the other guy has moved backwards from his “I'll be better than Ted Kennedy" on gay rights”. But we should take the word of a RW’er about our guys position while he completely ignores his own guy. I just have to ask, “WHY?