Online now: 21 (members: 3, guests: 18)

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by freshmeat, Mar 10, 2014.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat Can't touch this

So who are these faithful guests that consistently lurk?

2. IQless1
    Blah

IQless1 trump supporters are scum

Some are people who do not wish to join as a "member", but some are definitely one of the various "bots" that track chit online...mostly for consumer research. This site doesn't give stats on the differences, but other sites do and, in general, bots make-up between 40 and 60% of traffic...from what I can tell.

3. LucyRay
    Amused

LucyRay Active Member

I should google this, but I'll ask first..;).. What's a bot? I'm such a non-geek ..

4. LucyRay
    Amused

LucyRay Active Member

I know it's not the bot that gets onto horses..okay, I looked it up. Malware; a security threat to a computer. ;)

5. IQless1
    Blah

"Malware" isn't what I was referring to, though. To help, I'll post the Wikipedia definition of "Malware" first, then try to define "bots" later:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

"Bots" are different, in that they typically do automated tasks without causing harm. That said, some are indeed Malware.

More-or-less harmless bots vary:

One common "bot" is where you begin typing a zip-code or other identification into a box (or "field", as it's typically called), something you had already entered once at some other point in time, and the complete information appears in the field, without you having to type the entire entry again.

Example: Let's say you create an email account under the name "yadayadaya@whatever". The next day, you enter the letter "y" and the entire word "yadayadaya@whatever" appears automatically. That would be an example of a "bot" at work.

There are other types though, for marketing purposes. These track what words are typed in order to generate ads on a site.

Example: Say I looked on eBay for shoes. On a different site, the "bot" will look through the site's ads for any "shoe" ads and viola: you get an ad for shoes.

For additional info, here's a Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot

2 people like this.
  6. LucyRay
    Amused

LucyRay Active Member

Thank you so much! I get it. Your examples are perfect.

7. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

I'm sure somebody **cough cough** the NSA..... is watching us or at least recording everything that happens here and everywhere else for that matter. A political forum? Probably first on their list of things to watch in my opinion. I doubt however that we'd even see their activity register as "guest".
    Hey NSA! Havin' a nice day? :)

2 people like this.
  8. JoeNation
    No Mood

The last commercial site I visited was an office furniture page. I looked at a bunch of desks specifically and now all I see are ads for desks. I wonder if I visit a florist shop site, would I see flowers the rest of the day instead of desks? Hum? :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  9. JoeNation
    No Mood

Yep! Now all I see is ads for FTD. I guess it's better than looking at desks. It only took about 10 minutes to start seeing the new ads.

2 people like this.
  10. LucyRay
    Amused

LucyRay Active Member

Geez, since you mention it, that explains the ads perfectly. And I thought we were all seeing the same thing! How naive ! Is anyone else seeing horse blankets on sale for the end of the season!! Ha ha!

2 people like this.
  11. LucyRay
    Amused

LucyRay Active Member

All kidding aside, oh boy, I do believe everything is monitored..and I'm not thinking by Peter..

12. JoeNation
    No Mood

At least we know that everything is being saved. I doubt that any organization could listen to everything. Too many of us, too few of them.

13. freshmeat

Visit a bikini site, might as well make the most of your day :)

14. IQless1
    Blah

So the Revolution is "On"?

(unzips zipper embedded in image of pants ad on van and yells)

"Shoot the Moon! Shhhhoooot the Mooooon!" :eek:

...*

It'd be easier to start the Revolution if I didn't despise cell-phones so much. My voice carries only so far, you know.

Pass it on. ;)

* Bonus "kudos" for anyone who understands the reference. :cool:

15. IQless1
    Blah

16. JoeNation
    No Mood

If you click in the upper left-hand corner of whatever ad is showing on this page, you can opt out of being targeted. You'll still see ads but they will not track your searches. Apparently a company called Netmining.

How Data Powers Your Experience

You can opt out of any or all of the companies listed below. Opting out does not mean you will stop seeing ads. It means that the company you opt out of will no longer use your data to target ads to you.

3 people like this.
  17. freshmeat

What ads?

2 people like this.
  18. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

There are supposedly a lot more members here. Check it out.

http://www.partisanlines.com/members/

Anyway I think we know here that it's basically the same old.
    I suppose I'm a "faithful guest".

I check the posts and if it's not worth responding to I don't. So I don't log on.

This happens a lot.;)

19. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

I believe you're referring to Sergeant Stedanko and Harry.
    Up In Smoke.

A different "Harry moment".

3 people like this.
  20. IQless1
    Blah

"Kudos" :D