Prostitution and Drugs~

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by clembo, Jun 18, 2009.

1. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Just putting this one up for discussion folks. I'll tell you what prompted me.

In the past few weeks I found a "distant" cousin is heavily into drugs and apparently prostitution.

Tonight my wife and I learned a "distant" cousin of hers is heavily into drugs and I wondered about prostitution.
    I use the word "distant" because neither of us have seen any of these cousins in years.

That aside it brought me back to my old "truck stop days". Unfortunately I got to know too many prostitutes, exotic dancers and drug dealers when I spent nearly a year working midnights. Ahhh.... the people of the night.
    I was in a rough area so I was able to see the "finest".

The truck stop was across the street from a Ponderosa Steak House. Running joke was that after they closed you could still buy meat. It was all diseased but you could still buy it. That's where the hookers and dealers could be found.

We had security and one was partictularly vigilant. Good Ole Dick. He'd sniff 'em out and send them on their way.
    We also had regular visits by Gary, IN policemen. Hey, free coffee and donuts.

Occasionally they'd get bored and go on a "panty run" as it were. Catch a hooker or two, tell a driver to get lost pronto and call it a day. Hooker would be out the next day and so on and so on. This was a reality.

We didn't care what went on across the street. Just keep it off our property. Occasionally one would get bold and we'd call for Criminal Trespass. I especially enjoyed this on Fridays as they'd sit in jail until at least Monday wainting for a judge. Lost wages you know.

The rule was simple. Stay off our property while "working". If you came over for coffee after work fine but I know who you are.

As for the drug thing. Well, most of them were "crack *****s". There's no other way of putting it. I can remember one who went by the name of Pretty Lady.
    Know what? When she started she was attractive. In six months she was 30 years older and spent. Nice life - wonder how she got into it?

Two I really remember because of the reason they were doing it. I'll start with Angel.
    Chubby - maybe late 20s. Not a drug user (believe me you'd be able to tell over time). Never a problem on our lot - she knew the rules.
    Her pimp? She was married to him. They had a very sick child. Needed money - that was all.
    Now I've been out of the truck stop for years but I did run into Angel one day at a local gas station 5 or 6 years ago. Met her husband as well. She was training for an assitant manager position at a local pizza place.
    Husband seemed like a nice guy and their daughter was doing much better. Hope they're doing well to this day.

Then there was Goldie. A women in her late 30's or 40's I suppose. Also a bit chubby (a good sign of no drugs as crack and meth suck you dry). Her problem? 5 kids and an old man that just up and left. She had a day job and this was a side job she did a few days a week.
    No pimp but kids sitting at home that had NO idea what mom was doing to put food on the table.
    I really liked Goldie. She was also my source of "information". I'd let her park her car on our lot to "go to work". She'd get a cup of coffee and go across the street.

Sound horrible? Yes, it was. She could go to work at 40 bucks a pop and if she found five clients get food on the table, clothes and a reasonable roof over her head.

This was before I ran the truck stop. Midnghts was a different world for sure. One day my boss came in real early and Goldie walked in. My boss was ready to raise the riot act with her and I told her (my boss) to just shut up.
    Reason? Goldie kept me informed about what was going on. Some you didn't even want across the street and I always knew.

Now I never had a problem with the cops doing panty raids. Hell, I applauded them when they actually had the time.

One night they did three real early. Goldie came in and I asked her if she was going to work. She replied yes, as I knew she would and I told her to go home. After all how would that affect her children if their mom was tossed in jail for prostitution? Only time I ever did that and I'll never regret it.

Am I saying this is OK? Nope. What I am saying is that people sometimes go to extreme measures to make ends meet.
    Sure one can say "find another job" but when kids need medical attention or food now it's a different story.

I've worked a few jobs in my life where I have seen how "the other half lives" and yes, many are just useless and I couldn't care less.
    I've also seen many people like this that are working and striving and doing their best to take care of their own.

2. weryon

weryon New Member

I know what you are saying , I work night shift in a run down hotel to earn some dough for university and everything university related :D I see girls come in and out everyday. Some are regulars some are from other places around but none the less you can always spot them. Sometimes I will chat them up and ask them about the profession, some do it for bills , some just want the extra dough. There are a lot a free lance girls here that are “pimp free”.

I really don’t care what they do. If you have the liberties to sell your body to do line work you should be able to sell your body via sexual favors to make a living. If you chose to take it a step further and accept crack as a form of payment that’s your call.

Prostitution is not immoral from a liberal stand point ...

3. Drusus

Drusus New Member

I think adults should be able to do what they want as long as they are not hurting others or interfering with other people lives...On the same token...if you cant handle your drugs, dont come asking the government (my tax money) for help.

4. craig a

craig a New Member

Isnt it a crime for police to take gratuities(free doughnuts and coffee)? They are just as much criminals as the hookers and junkies they harass. And they too are using tax money.

5. Drusus

Drusus New Member

America and its moral high ground is interesting and very hypocritical...

America seems to want its citizens to not get high yet we sell booze in almost every corner store and a majoity of people get high on booze. When I get off work and stop for gas...I see guys buying tallboys in paper sacks because they cant even wait until they get home to get a buzz...those same guys are often the people who preach about the evils of drugs...and lets face it...all drugs do is get you high...inebriated...just like booze. Booze is highly addictive and can be very deadly and cause all kinds of social ills yet we let any adult consume it if they choose...

Something like Marijuana is far less addictive and in no way deadly (you cant OD on it) yet we lock people away if they consume it...I just dont understand how such hypocrisy stands so long without people seeing it and changing it. I guess its because someone who swills booze HAS their drug of choice and it is legal thus they dont really care if pot smokers lives are ruined through drug testing and arrest records...being labeled a criminal.

The only logical way to conduct a drug policy is to either outlaw all intoxicants...or allow people to take what they please (maybe keeping it illegal to shoot up)...Booze is a scourge which effects our society...IMO it is just as bad a heroin. You drink too much and you lose the ability to speak, walk talk, and you lose your ability to think straight, you kill people when you drive, you become violent, you become addicted and even though it is legal...people are unable to break the addiction and ruin their lives preferring to consume booze than to go to work. How is THIS legal and the other drugs not?

Booze is more dangerous...EASILY more dangerous than pot, MDMA, mushrooms, and a host of other drugs that will land you in jail...not for what you do ON them but for just DOING them or having them. You say booze WAS outlawed and they couldn't keep people from doing it? yeah...same with EVERY drug...that guy who sits next to you at work might just smoke a joint when he gets home and you just dont know it...grandma might...there is a huge underground of so called 'criminals' who do it.

The problem with booze being illegal is it made criminals out of all the wrong people...politicians, big businessmen, important people who didnt want to live without their wine, brandy, whiskey, and beer...pot and the host of other drugs have a smaller amount of people who consume it, often people who do not care for booze which is so powerful, they might prefer a joint instead...those people are deemed wrong for not wanting to consume booze...so they are criminalized and their lives ruined and who cares...

There is nothing more pathetic than a guy who comes home and drinks a beer, or goes to a bar on the weekend and drinks bitching about drugs...you just want to scream in their fat faces 'YOU GET HIGH IDIOT!!' that can of beer is liquid drugs and you are drinking it because of the effect that even a few sips will give you, that warm feeling, you just want the buzz just like anyone who smokes a joint. Just like booze there is high quality pot and cheap pot...none of them will kill you if you take too much...

Anyway...this is just one way in which our government has decided it knows best what we should do and doesn't care who they harm...our government is full of people with bad judgment...they are the LAST people who should be telling us what we should and shouldn't consume as they are sitting in a bar drinking a nice bottle of wine.

6. craig a

craig a New Member

Right on Dru...party hardy dude!

7. Drusus

Drusus New Member

I dont drink or smoke....well...I drink maybe twice a year.

8. arizonaJack

arizonaJack Well-Known Member

We make choices, and only we can be responsible for them. If I choose to be a crackhead, I would not want anyone to pay for my bad judgement or decision.

This notion of we must help the losers is bullcrap. They choose to be losers.

F 'em. Burry them standing, it leaves more room for the other losers.

When you decide to get it together, help is available. We non pieces of carp will offer help.

9. Midas

Midas New Member

Remember the movie "Risky Business"?

[​IMG]

There was this great scene (among others) where Tom Cruise (Jole) was wearing his Ray Bans talking/selling one of his friends. His friend explained, "I don't pay for sex," and Cole without missing a beat said, "Of course you do!

Cole that went on to justify why his "services" made sense. He went through how much his friend paid for gas, movie tickets, popcorn, dinner, etc. and then asked, "So where did that get you?"

Then his friend answered that this girl went out with somebody else.

"I am offering you a sure thing!"

Us guys are wired differantly and make no mistake about it...when we go out to a bar, a dance club, a social in the hopes of meeting a woman, we have the "end-result" in mind for hooking up. In some cases, that may happen immediately and in others, it is going to take the flowers, candies, dinners, a number of dates, etc. to get to the end-result.

With that, there will ALWAYS be prostitution. I agree...what happens PRIVATELY between consenting adults is nobody's business.

Think about it...if a woman sleep with the entire football team on the 50 yard line, society deems her a slut. But wait, if she asks for a dollar to sleep with the last guy, we want to throw her in jail and call her a prostitute.

I say legalize it, clean it up, collect tax revenue for these services and everybody will be happy...the woman, the "trick", and the state (new revenue and less medical issues) all benefit.

10. Drusus

Drusus New Member

I just changed one word in your post but it works just a well both ways :) Sadly we end up paying for drunks...their health problems (cant let the drunk die on the side of the road I guess), through the fact that they kill people everyday, domestic problems...how much do we pay every day in just police salaries to clean up after drunks who have killed someone on the road or when they are called out to stop a drunk from beating his wife...its a daily if not hourly thing. There are few things as damaging as boozers in this world. For the life of me I dont understand why its legal. There is nothing more annoying, dangerous, or disgusting as a drunk person.

11. vess1

vess1 "Birds of a feather...."

I happen to agree with you. I'm surprised it's still legal as well. They spend more time debating the global warming hoax because cap-and-trade (cap-and-tax) is going to make Goldman Sachs a new trillion dollars of government mandated revenue a year! While thousands are killed on the roads each year making every random person, no matter who you are, at equal risk.

I think it's a necessary evil 'balancing act' if you'd like to call it that. There's so many people hooked on booze and cigarettes now that to outlaw it would take such monumental effort to enforce and would drive so many people out of their minds, that would probably end up committing additional crime out of frustration, that they simply do not want to deal with it.

Besides, the tax revenue from that stuff generates billions. A lot of programs rely on that revenue so it's not a problem they're really looking to fix for the foreseeable future.

The reason behind keeping minor drugs banned? Who knows? Maybe they think the healthcares and liabilities would outweigh the benefits of keeping it banned and doing their best to enforce it. For now, they can 'half way' keep a lid on it. Maybe a large percentage of people stay away from the crap because they're worried about losing their job, let alone having an accident at work and killing someone. Their's still a disinsentive to keep people off the garbage. While there's been no disinsentive to keep anybody away from booze and cigs. Instead, many grow up on them from around the age of 14. Too hard to change at this point. It's too ingrained into society.
    I suspect they'll try to keep a lid on the drugs as long as possible, keeping a strong disinsentive from a prison term in affect. Once the druggies willingly fry themselves, are they a benefit to society or a drain? Have you ever seen one?

12. Elmosworld

Elmosworld New Member

Being from Nevada where prostitution is legal in the brothels, but illegal in the streets would make a logical thinking person say Nevada does not have any street walkers. In fact it is sad to say it is the exact opposite. The drug users or should I say those addicted to drugs or are diseased do in fact walk the streets. I am only bringing this up so that you can glimpse the fact that legalization will not necessarily fix anything.

As far as the strong views on drugs and alcohol well in a perfect world it all looks good on paper. It is true alcoholics and drug users kill people beat their wives or in some cases husbands, but people who do not do drugs or drink alcohol do as well. Then the argument becomes well their would be less senseless deaths if we outlawed it, but lets send our boys and girls to Iraq or North Korea really?

Alcohol was outlawed nationally once upon a time, in fact we still have dry counties in the East. I have yet to read a report or news story that started with since alcohol and drugs are illegal we only need Sheriff Andy Taylor and one deputy to handle all our issues.
    P.S. I do not condone drugs or alcohol abuse nor am I in favor of people who beat or murder.

13. Buckwheat

Buckwheat O'TAY

The next time you need help call a hooker or junkie instead of the police !!!

14. David

David Proud Enemy of Hillary

I think the "hooker with a heart of gold" image is a movie & tv creation. Really, just another case of liberal social programs keeping these people in their current situation with no motivation to change or become a contributing member of society. One can almost bet that, in the area clembo is describing, some "outreach" program is supplying the addicts with clean needles, condoms, etc- whatever they need to keep doing what they are doing. Rather than keeping them down why not use the same money for rehab or education?

15. Elmosworld

Elmosworld New Member

Well then that is one idea giving them rehab over clean needles and condoms. Never mind the fact that our nation is only realizing 52% of its high school students graduating.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122455013168452477.html

Either side of the political arena, IMHO I think it is high time to be proactive rather than reactive. This wait and see attitude is compounding the problems not minimizing them. If memory serves Benjiman Franklin said "An ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure"

16. craig a

craig a New Member

I will. So there. And dont quote statements out of context. I wouldnt do it to you. And you might thinks freebies for cops are ok. But it isnt. Because now that business has to keep doing it. So if it hurts his bottom line and he cuts it out. My guess is that thoses cops wont be around so much. Now that guy owes the cops something. Something that they are already paid to do. And unless you are a cop, you dont know what you are talking about.

17. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

I know where you're coming from on this David and actually agree to an extent. However, it's not the case with the majority of these people for a few simple reasons.
    The drug of choice amongst these folks is crack cocaine and chrystal meth is popular too. These drugs are smoked not injected and I have yet to hear of any groups supplying crack pipes. Don't break it and you can reuse it many times.
    I also doubt any of these "ladies" frequent Planned Parenthood.

Honestly I know of no organizations around here that supply things like free hypos.

18. Buckwheat

Buckwheat O'TAY

Now thats funny........:D

19. craig a

craig a New Member

Glad ya liked it. If at anytime you need more schooling, just ask.

20. Buckwheat

Buckwheat O'TAY

It is legal in some parts of Nevada.....the toilet bowl of America...:D