Sell Me On Global Warming Please

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by Mopar Dude, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:57 AM.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I am not asking this to start an argument. I have made it clear that I robbed myself of higher formal education as a youngster..... I just read an article on the web that September was the hottest September on record. And I know that global warming is a very intimate subject to folks younger than myself. Well, I want to think outside myself here. This is what I think that I know;
    • North America was covered in ice 10,000 years ago. Long before humans could have possibly had any impact at all on climate.
    • We have been keeping accurate records on the climate for maybe 100 years. A mere nanosecond in the history of our globe.
    These two facts have been the basis of my feelings on the issue. I have always believed our world is forever in a state of change and metamorphosis. And while it is certainly our duty and responsibility to be responsible in the way we utilize our worlds resources, we are somewhat obtuse to think that we humans truly have any ability to affect wholesale change on our mother earth. This is the foundation of my feelings on the issue. I am a bigger man than to allow political persuasion to affect what I believe in my core. I want to be educated, not bludgeoned over the head with what I am told to believe.

I am fully sincere here. I am not stating a political position to argue over. I genuinely want to understand where I am getting this wrong.

2. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

I decided long ago, that I was done convincing anyone of the reality of man-made climate change. You either understand, accept, and move forward with literally the entire scientific community or you believe the climate change deniers and their propaganda. Wasting time arguing the science with people that will never accept the truth is futile and prevents the rest of from working to change the dynamic we all face. Believe whatever you want to believe until the day the good lord calls you home. I'm going to work on the world I want my children to inherit in the meantime. The rest is just noise.

3. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

That’s a Frydaddy response. Effectively, “you are dumb because I say so”..... I was making an honest effort. I knew better. Disregard the question.

4. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

Been meaning to answer here, but I've been busy and this is a BIG question. So, I guess the first part of it is that there's overwhelming evidence from diverse fields of study.

Probably the most accurate is looking at atmospheric gases. We know that our surface temperature is correlated to the composition of gases (key ones have become known as greenhouse gases). We have really cool ways of precisely measuring gases throughout the years. Ice cores! Check out this website to learn more about how they work:

https://icecores.org/about-ice-cores

Because there's so many fields in support of global warming, it's tough to cover them all. But, I'd highly recommend checking out NASA's overview on the topics here:

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

The point is, I think there's so much that for most (myself included) we just trust the experts across the world. Sorry I can't think of a more personal/comprehensive argument in support of it.

5. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

If you were truly interested in the question, and I mean seriously interesting in the answer, you would look at the world experts opinions, data, consensus, and make an informed decision. Nobody here is a climatologist or even a weather man on some local news station I'm pretty certain. Asking any of us to sell you the opposite of your long-held beliefs is akin to asking surgical patients to monitor their own anesthesia. You do know that even God is into recycling right?