Supreme Court Question

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mopar Dude, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I totally get it. A conservative President will nominate a conservative judge and likewise for a Democratic President. I also get the fact that there is absolutely nothing Trump could do or say that would be acceptable to a Democrat. But all partisan diatribe aside, I do have a serious question..... Is it not the responsibility of the sitting President to make every effort to fill that empty seat? There is sound reasoning behind having an odd number of justices sitting in that court, isn’t there?

2. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a very sound reason, and we saw it come into play in 2000 with the Florida recount debacle. It finally took a ruling from the Supreme Court to end the foolishness. Al Gore and the Democrats were determined to tie up the country with endless recounts and litigation until they had him declared the winner. The country needed to move on, and the court did it. If the court had been left with a 4 to 4 tie, the problem would have continued.

The ironic part was The New York Times, which is hardly a Republican publication, did its own recount and found that Bush won be a greater margin that the official results.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Mopar Dude likes this.
  3. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

If you are going to completely skip over the entire Mitch McConnell hypocrisy issue, there is no point in discussing the issue at all.

Hypocrites.png

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  4. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

You know it's funny. I would have thought that too. But as we saw with Merrick Garland, 237 days to the election is just too close to the election to represent the will of the people. It would seem, consequences of having an even number of judges be damned, the will of the people must be heard at all costs. At least, that's what I'm told.

5. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Being able to rationalize the corruption completes the march towards Orwell's dystopian view of our future. How happily they marched along.