The Flat Earth Society Folks Need to Sit Down and Shut Up

Discussion in 'Religion' started by JoeNation, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JoeNation
    Cheerful

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

Science isn't a debate. The people who believe that things like climate change and vaccines and birth control are contrary to their beliefs are offering nothing more than their interpretations of the bible as their guiding principles. Go ahead and live by your interpretations of a book written in the Bronze Age if you choose but do not try to pretend that your beliefs are an alternative to science. They aren't. Believe whatever you want but do not try and make the argument that your religion and science are even in the same arena. By doing so, you elevate the mysticism of religion to a level it clearly doesn't deserve and devalue science by associating it with your superstitions. Perhaps that is your plan.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/03/09/neil-degrasse-tyson-media-has-to-stop-giving-cl/198418

2 people like this.
  2. Guy Medley

Guy Medley Well-Known Member

This is why they put men of science to death not so many years ago. Knowledge isn't conducive to faith, because science isn't faith, it's fact, which cannot be said of religion. This was and still is a big problem for the religious. Even today, the most devout countries and states are also the farthest behind in education.

3. JoeNation
    Cheerful

I thought it was fascinating the other night watching Cosmos. Neal was talking about the epic of Gilgamesh and well before Christianity, there was a story of the great flood and an ark, however, it wasn't Noah's. In the Hindu religion there were stories of virgin births, stars heralding the arrival of the son of God, and every other story you were taught about Christianity thousands of years before the bible. They simply copied other religion's traditions, co-oped pagan holidays, and killed anyone who questioned them or refused to convert. Christianity is complete nonsense. My guess is that so are the rest of the fairy tales of Mohammad, Buddha, and any number of the millions of Hindu Gods.

4. Guy Medley

Guy Medley Well-Known Member

And even those other religions are forthcoming in stressing those tales are parables, not history. They were told around campfires through countless generations to instill morals, obedience, and law in a way the vastly illiterate could understand and pass along. Where humans went from telling tales to convey a message to believing those same tales factual history is beyond me. Are the Christians still trying to get Cosmos taken off the air for not offering a biblical theory towards the universe? I stopped caring so I'm sadly out of date. Its a great show though, so hopefully they don't cave and make it Fox approved.

5. JoeNation
    Cheerful

I think it sticks in Fox's craw that they are completely in opposition to everything Cosmos is saying. Too funny.