The Role of Taxpayer Subsidies in the Obesity Epidemic

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FryDaddyJr, May 15, 2020.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Member

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/th...otOTjoi7tKLHvQFlYCpOuIUo4mpjGEviP1aWIkT4s_pM4

If it really were a government of, by, and for the people, we’d be subsidizing healthy foods if anything, to make fruits and vegetables cheap, or even free, but instead, our tax dollars are shoveled to the likes of the sugar industry or to livestock feed to make cheap fast food meat.

It’s funny, though. I‘ve been working on the How Not to Diet cookbook this week (it will be out in December), and I’ve got a bunch of sorghum recipes! So here I am in the video asking “When’s the last time you sat down to a bowl of sorghum?” and soon I hope you’ll all be like, “last night!”

I had never had sorghum before, and it’s delicious! In fact, I wish I had discovered it before How Not to Diet was locked down. Now I add to my BROL bowl (the purple barley groats, rye groats, oat groats, and black lentils) sorghum and finger millet, so now the acronym is some unpronounceable BROLMS or something. Anyway, sorghum is a great rice substitute for those who saw my rice/arsenic video series, and were as convinced as I that we need to diversify our grains.

Anyway, now we turn to marketing. There was all this taxpayer-subsidized glut of calories in the market; now the food industry had to find a way to get it into people’s mouths. So next: The Role of Marketing in the Obesity Epidemic.

We’re about halfway through this series on the obesity epidemic. If you missed any so far, check out:

2. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

What is your beef with large folks and why do you believe it to be a political issue? I enjoy food and I am a large man. I am also a happy man. And as I recall there is something written in an important founding document somewhere that alludes to a persons pursuit of happiness..... Geez man, if you want to eat bean sprouts and be waifishly thin... Go for it. I could care less. But leave me and my steak alone. I have to keep my strength up as I am often called to be a pallbearer at my healthy friends funerals.

JohnHamilton and SmalltownMN like this.
  3. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Member

sick fat people are subsidized by healthy responsible people. It's a personal responsibility thing that fat lazy gluttons can't comprehend.

4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

Ok that is just, plain out right insulting. I’m technically underweight by CDC standards so this doesn’t apply to me but really? This is just childish.

5. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Member

They use more resources and they should pay more. fat tax.

6. Mopar Dude

Pious arrogance and waste of oxygen tax is more like it.

7. Mopar Dude

Hard working people subsidize poor people.
    Fuel taxes subsidize the damage trucks do to our highways.
    Unemployment taxes subsidize lazy bums.
    And sadly, message boards subsidize arrogantly pious comments. Something the laboriously arrogant can't possibly comprehend.

8. Mopar Dude

The whole substance of this thread just eats at my large gut....... I work harder than most. I pay more in taxes than most. I even foot the bill for eight other peoples health care...... Pray tell, please... How is the size of my waist being subsidized by you? Since I left the care of my momma at seventeen years old this man has taken absolutely nothing that he didn't earn by the sweat of his own brow. Subsidized? Please enlighten me.

9. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

To me, @Frydaddy, do you support the legalization of cannabis? If so, do you think that we should foot the bill for paying the medial expenses from those who get addicted or come down with lung cancer from it?

It's real easy to throw stones were you are 20 to 30 years old and not gaining weight. I had a 29 inch waist when I graduated from undergraduate school. As you get older it's get harder to look like Skinny Minnie or Charles Atlas.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    Mopar Dude likes this.
  10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Member

Marijuana is not addicting, but I think Alcohol is more dangerous and the science proves this out.

11. Mopar Dude

However the science also has proven that weed will rob a man of any semblance of ambition...... One drug for the other. It doesn’t matter. The pathway to to a permanent catatonic state is paved with many poisons....... I certainly have a great deal more clarity on the premise of your posts now.

12. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

Tell that to the people who have get high every day. They were in college in the ‘60s and ‘70s, and they are here now.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 8:16 PM
  13. CoinBlazer

I hate both equally

14. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

You might come to enjoy a good glass of red or white wine one day matched with the proper meal.

15. CoinBlazer

Eh...seriously I detest alcohol and drugs equally. My parents have a beer or two on the weekends, I don’t scream at them, I don’t think they are going to hell. I just don’t find value in substances altering your cognizant perception. I’ve seen too many people die from alcohol related causes. (Drunk driving, liver failure, impaired judgment)

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  16. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Member

I don't do either one, I want to age well.