This board is decending into a hate forum

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Danr, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Danr

Danr New Member

I wish that some of you could see how hateful you sound. This part of Cointalk is going down quick and turning into a hate forum (regarding Muslims).

2. zaneman

zaneman New Member

I don't think anyone here hates muslims. Granted they have a vile hate filled book as their doctrine, and a portion of them are responsible for a huge portion of the suffering, but there are good muslims out there, and I think everyone here recognizes that.

3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger Another Wandering Celt

I won't beat around the bush, I despise/hate ISLAM. It's not a religion it's a method of violence.

Ben

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Danr,you're very wrong about the Islamic faith.I have some
    friends who are genuine Muslims.They are not like Osama bin Laden at all.They reckon that bin Laden should have been put to death years ago!

Aidan.

5. OldDan

OldDan New Member

PLEASE! Isn't this 'the pot calling the kettle black'?
    For someone who contributes at least 50 % to the "problem", you really could end it all by just not responding to any of these threads. That would be an improvement you could make. I guess it comes down to IF you don't approve, don't contribute with your hate mongering. Simple as that!:kewl:

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 New Member

Danr,
    Nobody should be surprised by this. All political chat rooms eventually decend into mindless hatred and personal insults. The average person doesn't know the difference between opinion and fact; and doesn't know the difference between thinking and believing. Politics is the perfect discussion topic because it requires neither brains, nor education, nor information to fully participate. I'd wager that nobody has ever changed their mind or learned anything from any political chat room anyplace on the internet. It's a waste of technology.

I commend CoinTalk for having the courage to conduct this experiment. However, I don't expect it to continue much longer.

7. Midas

Midas New Member

Then just opt-out...

Go home and cry to your mommy if you don't like it. If you can't handle the truth about the "religion of peace"...tough!

8. OldDan

OldDan New Member

Lets see if I can make this very plain, for Danr’s sake. I don’t now, nor have I ever hated Muslims. I can say the same thing about Rattlesnakes, however. So lets make a comparison, shall we; I don’t want any Rattlesnakes in or around me, they are deadly and I don’t have time to watch them all the time. If they stay somewhere that I’m not, they are welcome to stay as long as they please. If a Rattlesnake causes me problems or does harm to my property ( livestock) I will do every thing in my power to kill that snake before he can do any further damage. I wouldn’t think of inviting a Rattlesnake to my home for a meal, or offer to feed it anything but a well placed shot gun blast. I sure wouldn’t socialize with a Rattlesnake or expect any of my friends to have any thing to do with one. If I had my way, they could be placed on the endangered species list and I could be very happy, as long as I knew they were never coming off the list. I’d rather shake hands with a Grizzly Bear as be around a
    Rattlesnake or a Muslim.

All of the before mentioned feelings related to Rattlesnakes goes for Muslims. So Danr you can see, I do not have time to “hate” them any more than you can say you don’t.

9. Danr

Danr New Member

I never thought I would say it but we have common ground here. There are many PATRIOTIC American Muslims (ever hear of Dearborn MI).

10. OldDan

OldDan New Member

Thanks to such people as the sweeper, who can't seem to stay away and even contributes occasionally, we may loose just one of the best parts of this forum.
    As long as we are adult enough to keep it here in this part of the forum, it remains a privolage granted by CoinTalk. I expect that to remain as the parties associated with this site are more than fair about such things. IMO:kewl:

11. Danr

Danr New Member

Honestly Andy makes a good point now and then but he takes this antiIslam thing to far.

12. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Me I dont hate Muslims as I keep saying for the most part they are the same as everyone else people who just want to get on with life, it is the fanatics, there is another post about the palastinians voting in a terrorist organisation hell what choice did they have Fatty Ah (Terrorist organisation) Hammy Ass (Terrorist organisation) but at least they voted which is a big step forwards in that part of the world.
    I admit I dont like or trust Saudies, but I do like Turks (a lot) I also like the Druze very nice hospitable people :D as are most Lebonese that I have met.

De Orc :D

13. PTD
    Fiendish

PTD Administrator Moderator

I can think of a good number of solutions to this problem, that you as a member of CoinTalk can do on your own initiative. Here are a few.

1. Stop hating on each other so much. I know I've been way too tolerant of the hating that goes on in here, but that's more because I can't bring myself to read the stuff that gets posted in here than anything else. And, I wouldn't tolerate this stuff spilling out into the public forums.

2. Opt-out. I find it difficult to take someone seriously when they're complaining about a situation they actually made some effort to get themselves into. The reason I changed this to opt-in only is so you'd have to make a conscious decision to come in here to read, let along participate. Don't like it? Easy, opt-out.

3. Use the forum's ignore feature. If you can't get along at all with someone, put them on ignore. Sure, you won't be able to read what they post in the coin sections either, but if it will help you raise your enjoyment level here then do it. Of course I hesitate to recommend that one usually, maybe because I'm naive, but I think everyone who's sophisticated enough to learn how to use a website like CoinTalk, they'd be sophisticated enough to tolerate other people's political views as well.

4. Refine your skills of persuasion. This one might be the most difficult suggestion, but if you don't like the level of discussion here you might try to raise that level by setting an example yourself. Political debate is trying, as we cut very quickly to raw emotion. Some people are certainly more experienced with debate skills than others. We certainly can all improve ourselves in that regard, and of course we all have days where we just can't get our words out right. Little things we do can go a long way in raising the level of the debate, though.

5. And this may be the most important rule of all. Don't make me realize that it was a huge mistake for me to make this section in the first place. I'm thrilled that so many people use CoinTalk, and encourage more. I'll go to great lengths to make CoinTalk more useful to the members, but I'll go at least as far to prevent something from harming the community. If I see this section as doing more harm than good, it can go out as fast as it came in.

Thanks for listening!

14. Midas

Midas New Member

Don't worry Peter. What happens here stays here (just like Vegas).

Unfortunately there are some that don't follow your #4 "rule" because they can't articulate nor document their message. I always followed this advice, "Before you raise your voice, reinforce your argument". I seen it happen before when a person or party loses a debate, they immediately try squash the debate because they are tired of losing or looking foolish.

It's like a child taking the ball from a basketball game, running home, so nobody can play anymore. Why? The child was upset they couldn't win.

If they opt-in, there better learn to play with the big boys. If they don't like it, they can always opt-out. Your point #2.

15. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Politics and policy are all about debate, some will be sensible and informative, some will be debased and crude,,, its always been that way and always will be !!

Rick

16. rick

rick New Member

I don't think this forum qualifies as 'big boys', and I don't mean that to be insulting. But the debates (if the arguments here qualify as such) that go on in here are neither too advanced nor too educated for your basic cointalk member to follow... so the reason why people don't follow them must be something other than their inability to play with the heavy hitters that post on this sub forum.

Explain it how you like, but, as they say, when faced with competing theories, the simpler solution is usually better... And the easiest solution pretty much falls toward: people either don't care about the anger, or are repelled by it, and so they don't participate in these 'debates'.

And there is no real winning - if you believe you have won an argument, you are most likely mistaken. In the end you have proven nothing to anyone else, except to voice some opinions that others happen to have already found themselves to agree with. No championship title really changed hands on that score.

Further, I find that this forum points a lot of fingers - refer to paragraph two of post 14, which is an odd irony when taken in context of post #7 - and apparently made by the same person. While the former seems to indicate that the poster believes he is better at the art of persuasion than other people here, the latter (and first) post seems to indicate a 'shut up and go away, if you don't like it' attitude - and I find that to be a curious form of persuasion, indeed (particularly when followed by a comment that points the fingers at other posters for being childish, which again, persuasion at its finest, we will all agree).

There's my two cents.

17. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 New Member

You're right about that. Some people can't differentiate between having made an argument so powerful that nobody can refute it, and just not being deserving of a response. Time will tell how the whole thing plays out. I hope I'm proven wrong.

18. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

I don't think most of the arguments or positions taken here would constitute anything approaching debate. A real debate consists of point counter point exchanges and the topic is pretty much irrelevant. In other words, you could take either side of the argument and advocate your position with an equal amount of conviction.
    Cloudy makes a great point that people don't seem to have the ability to tell the difference between what is relevant to the discourse and what is irrelevant and therefore unworthy of a response. I'd add that many good points are also ignored that are relevant so that even someone making a convincing argument is often stone-walled.
    The lesson here is that if you are looking for a good debate on issues that are important to you, this isn't the place to come. Start your own Blog.

19. Danr

Danr New Member

On the plus side I must say that the opinions I read here differ from those I get from most people in my life. But the kill all Muslims and kill all gays stuff is getting old.

20. Midas

Midas New Member

When you hang around "Green Peace" people, what do you expect??