This Has To Be the Classiest Thing I've Ever Heard a President Do

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Moen1305, May 13, 2011.

1. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

And I mean by both of them!

Bush tells Obama on bin Laden: "Good call"4 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Former President George W. Bush, who spent years searching for Osama bin Laden, had two words for President Barack Obama when Obama told him of the al Qaeda leader's death: "Good call."

Bush, who has shied away from the public eye since leaving office in January 2009, spoke about the U.S. raid that killed bin Laden in remarks to a conference of hedge fund managers. An ABC News contributor attended the event and reported on them.

Bush said he was eating souffles at a Dallas restaurant with his wife, Laura, and two friends when he got word that Obama, his successor as president, was trying to reach him.

"I excused myself and went home to take the call," Bush said. "Obama simply said, 'Osama bin Laden is dead.'"

After Obama described in detail the secret U.S. raid on Osama's compound in Pakistan and the decision he made to go ahead with the mission, Bush said he told Obama: "Good call."

ABC News said Bush told the group that bin Laden's death was a victory for the American people and "a great victory in the war on terror."

He said U.S. intelligence services deserve a lot of credit for tracking down bin Laden and spoke of meeting in Afghanistan with Navy SEAL Team Six, the highly skilled strike team that reportedly conducted the raid.

"They are awesome, skilled, talented and brave," he added. "I said, 'I hope you have everything you need. One guy said, 'We need your permission to go into Pakistan and kick ass.'"

Bush escalated a U.S. hunt for bin Laden after the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington, but the al Qaeda leader escaped from the mountains of Tora Bora in Afghanistan and ended up living in a large house in the Pakistani garrison town of Abbottabad, apparently for years.

Bush's predecessor, President Bill Clinton, launched missile strikes against bin Laden's compound in Afghanistan in 1998 in an unsuccessful effort to kill bin Laden following al Qaeda attacks on U.S. embassies in Africa.

2. IQless1
    Blah

IQless1 trump supporters are scum

Bush: "Good Call." ...and I'm sure it's a call he wouldn't have even cared to make... he said as much. Wuss. (laughs)

3. Stujoe

Stujoe Well-Known Member

Interesting anecdote. And classy on both sides. And not real surprising. I have heard more than one President say in interviews that it is a club that no one understands unless they have held the job.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Clown Hater

You know he started two wars don't you?

5. craig a

craig a New Member

I'm guessing you're a democrat. Or an "Independent".

6. IQless1
    Blah

I got the memo.

IMO Afghanistan was a good call, but was definitely going to be a rough road. Iraq, however, is IMO the single worst call any president has ever made. I saw mustering our ships in the Gulf a couple months ahead of the invasion and was mortified that he could make such a huge blunder. I knew we would need our troops in Afghanistan, as well as any future engagement that we may have in the near-future. His decision to invade Iraq cut our abilities severely, and cost tax-payers how many billions of dollars, and thousands of lives. Now, you ask why I'd question his ability to go after Bin laden? Are you dense? Bush SAID he's not concerned about Bin Laden, the main (deleted) reason we went into Afghanistan! So don't ask me a stupid question you know the answer to already, it makes you look ignorant and dumb. Now, are you clear on where I am on that? (laughs)

7. IQless1
    Blah

I'd say Independant... but I'm not all political about it... (laughs)

8. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Good point although there are several "Presidents" that would disagree with you on this forum.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Clown Hater

What the are you talking about. Referencing the wars he started is to refute the insinuation that he was too much of a Wuss to go after Bin Laden. He started two wars in response to 9/11. Bush's problem was that he was not afraid of anything. He was the biggest cowboy ever to hold the office. And if you believe his political statement about not being concerned about Bin Laden, then you are a idiot.

Are you clear on that, I am calling you a idiot. You show up here with you better than thou attitude stating that name calling is beneath you and then proceed to call me ignorant and dumb after you make a completely retarted statement. Welcome to the circus, CLOWN.

10. David

David Proud Enemy of Hillary

Hindsight being all 20/20, right?
    It's amazing how people try to re-write history. If you'll remember, Bush had overwhelming popular and bi-partisan support to go to war- a decision based on the information we had at the time...from all 21 of our intelligence agencies, Clinton's intel & information supplied by our allies.

11. craig a

craig a New Member

12. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC Donald Trump For President In 2020

Yeah, Armchair Generals are known for their 20/20 hindsight vision.

13. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

Speaking of re-writing history, let's us not forget the information Bush and Cheney just made up or knew was false when they said it. Then there was the information that contradicted their goal of invading Iraq so they ignored it. Bush also admitted in an interview that he'd go to war with Iraq before he was ever elected (stole) the election in 2000. Cheney had secret meetings with oil executives in which they had already decided who would get which Iraqi oil fields prior to the Iraq war. Bush had overwhelming popular support for the war based on statements that have now been proven false. If I told you that Canada had nukes and was going to attack us, would you support actions against them or would you say no war no way? Later when you found out that Canada only ice sculptures of nukes would it be disingenuous of me to run around and say that you supported the war against Canada? That is what you are arguing.

My take on this is that Obama is being gracious because he is and Bush is being gracious because he has no other choice.

14. rlm's cents
    Hot

rlm's cents Well-Known Member

Are you referring to these WMD's as being imaginary?
    Clinton Iraq has abused its last chance - CNN

15. Stujoe

Stujoe Well-Known Member

Or maybe Bush is being gracious because he is and Obama is being gracious because he feels it might help him politically with more center voters. Or maybe neither of them are gracious and they are both only doing what their PR/Political handlers told them to do in order to sell more books, get higher paid speaking engagements or get re-elected. Or maybe they are both gracious and were only doing what came naturally. Or maybe the incident never really happened at all and is a big lie.

16. IQless1
    Blah

Damn... what is it with you and clowns? (laughs) As for taking Bush's statement that he wasn't concerned about Bin Laden... "the proof is in the pudding"... he really didn't give a (deleted). You think he was lying? IMO, that makes you ignorant. Am I "holier than thou"?... Sorry if I come off sounding that way, but I'd have to say I can reason far better than you can. As far as being holier... nope. Calling you ignorant isn't what I'd consider to be name-calling, but yeah, I guess dumb would be, and I apologize for that part. Your comments are unusual for a reasonable person to make, but I don't consider you to be an idiot.

17. IQless1
    Blah

For me this wasn't hindsight, it was foresight. I was explaining what I personally knew, not "re-writing" history. As for him being popular at the time, well yeah, Americans were angry over 9-11. People are fickle though, and Bush's administration was able to use that temporary, overwhelmingly patriotic spirit to go into Iraq, knowing Americans would (for the most part) be ignorant enough to support him on it.

18. IQless1
    Blah

Yes, but at the time those were unforeseen. My statement is my opinion at the time (while the ships were being mustered in the Persian Gulf, prepping for the Iraq invasion). At the time, I saw the consequences of the coming invasion and understood how it would affect our abilities if something should happen in the near future. I consider the conflicts in Sudan, Ethiopia, and Somalia, etc. ...and what we may have been able to do, had we not committed 100,000+ troops to the Iraq invasion. There are also questions on what we could have done about some of these newly erupted protests and crackdowns in the Arab world.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Iraq invasion tied-up too many of our resources (in addition to the thousands of lives lost and billions of tax-payer dollars spent on it), and that, to anyone with a good strategic mind (something I would expect to see SOMEwhere in Bush's administration) they could foresee the consequences also, but that they were probably ignored.

19. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Clown Hater

You can take your apology and stick it where the sun don't shine hypocrite. Your a dumb hick from the UP, nothing more. And the proof is not in the pudding dumbass. Bush made that comment as a politician who was trying to downplay that fact that he couldn't find Bin Laden. Everyone in the world (except you) understands that. Do you think for a minute that if they had found Bin Laden in his term that he would have taken a "no big deal" attitude towards taking him out.

Feel the hostility? Guess what, it is your turn. It is going to be fun exposing you for the phony that you really are. I wonder how long it will take before I make you cry like a little girl. How about it clown?

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Clown Hater

Hey dumbass, it wasn't the people who supported the war, it was the members of Congress. The Iraq War Resolution more than 2-1 in the House and 3-1 in the Senate. Are you claiming they were ignorant and overcome by patriotic spirit? David pegged you cold. A revisionist Bush hater!