Trump and the Veteran's Choice Act LIE

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, Aug 9, 2020.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

There are only really two possibilities here: 1) Either Trump is so mentally unbalanced that he literally can't remember that Obama signed the Veteran's Choice Act or, 2) Having told the same bald faced lie at least 150 times, he is just not capable of telling the truth.

In either case, is this the kind of leadership you think this country needs right now or ever? What are you actually respecting about Trump here? The mental deterioration or the complete and utter commitment to lying again and again?

Trump walks out of news conference after reporter asks him about Veterans Choice lie he's told more than 150 times

President Donald Trump abruptly ended a Saturday news conference after a reporter challenged him on a lie about veterans health care he has told more than 150 times.

Trump, speaking at his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf club, had claimed again that he is the one who got the Veterans Choice program passed -- adding, "They've been trying to get that passed for decades and decades and decades and no president's ever been able to do it, and we got it done."

In fact, former President Barack Obama signed the Choice program into law in 2014. The law, which allowed eligible veterans to be covered by the government for care provided by doctors outside the VA system, was a bipartisan initiative spearheaded by two senators Trump has repeatedly criticized, Bernie Sanders of Vermont and the late John McCain of Arizona.

What Trump signed was a 2018 law, the VA MISSION Act, that modified and expanded the eligibility criteria from the Choice program. Rather than tout that bill, Trump has claimed over and over that he created Veterans Choice itself -- after others had failed for "50 years."

"Why do you keep saying that you passed Veterans Choice?" CBS News White House correspondent Paula Reid asked Trump at the Saturday news conference, during which Trump announced executive actions on coronavirus relief.

As Trump tried to call on another reporter instead, Reid continued, "You said that you passed Veterans Choice. It was passed in 2014...it was a false statement, sir."
    Trump paused, then responded: "OK. Thank you very much, everybody." He then walked away as the song "YMCA" played.

Trump had either never or almost never been challenged on the Veterans Choice claim before Reid did so.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  2. JoeNation
    Angelic

Does this fact hurt your heads a little too much? You might want to reconsider your choice of leaders next time.

3. JoeNation
    Angelic

4. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

Being lied to by the president is sweet music to the ears of Trumpists. They don't see it as lying though. Whatever narrative he's currently yapping about is the TRUTH™, be it lies about mail-in voting or lies about his own achievements. Remember how terrible Obama was for using executive orders? When Trump does it, not a problem.

5. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I love how you guys get on your soapboxes and claim anyone that places labels on groups of people are bigoted. While I am conservative, I don’t fit within your labels. You guys should make an attempt to practice a bit of what you preach and stop feeding the fire.

6. JoeNation
    Angelic

Where I have used "group shaming" in other threads, and so have others, there isn't a single case of anyone calling all Republicans or all Conservatives anything in this thread so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

My original questions go unanswered though. How do you reconcile supporting someone this dishonest? I don't care all that much what reasons you give individually, I just wondered if there was some kind of consensus among your ilk. What causes you to support someone that tells the same lie 150 times? What he is saying about you is worse than the lie itself.

He basically thinks his followers are so dumb that they will believe whatever he says. Is he wrong? I don't see his followers standing up and demanding honesty from Trump so I have to believe that they condone easily provable lies as talking points from their leadership.

7. Mopar Dude

The conservative “ilk” in my circles aren’t the least bit proud of what comes out of his mouth. We don’t spend our time wringing our hands and cursing everyone that doesn’t hold our values. We aren’t posting meme’s designed to denigrate those that think differently from us. Nor are we burning our friends businesses down. The conservative “ilk” that I choose to associate with make our voices known at the ballot box. Not screaming vile hatred at the tops of our lungs while blaming everyone else for creating division. We are man enough to accept the blows while we are blamed for doing the striking. No, you likely won’t hear many conservatives bitching and screaming. We don’t do the complaining. We do something about it.

8. JoeNation
    Angelic

Perfect! So what are you going to do about it?

9. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN Active Member

I, for one, am going to do the same thing that I did in November of 2016..........vote for the lesser of two evils.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Mopar Dude

Like my relationship with my wife. I close the curtain at the ballot box. Years ago when I voted for Bill Clinton on his second term, I was pretty private about that..... Frankly, my vote is directly related to how I perceive the future of my business. Until April, I was 100% placing my vote for Trump. And while I don’t blame him for the recent economic downturn, I do find him to be at the core of our nations current divisions. And there is no economic future in a divided nation. I am currently on the fence frankly.

12. Mopar Dude

I hope this makes you Liberal guys proud. This doesn’t send the message the poster believes that it sends. All this says is I am liberal, immature and I am proud of it.