Utah Police Shoot 13 year old boy with autism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GeneWright, Sep 22, 2020.

1. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

See, this kind of situation is what we mean when we say we want to "defund the police." Not to get rid of them, but to divert some of their funding to other groups like crisis counselors.

A 13 year old was having a mental breakdown and the mother asked for a crisis intervention officer. She warned he was armed with a gun but specified it was extremely likely just a BB gun. Rather than try to calm him, they tell at him to get on the ground. When he ignores them and starts walking away, he is shot.

Luckily he lived, but the mother's following statement is illuminating:

Gee, I wonder what gave him that impression. The point is, especially in mentally ill adolescents, we need people that are better trained to handle these types of situations.

Of note, no gun (real or fake) is seen in the video or noted in the police report. As best I can tell, this officer shot because he was tired of chasing this kid.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nat...autism/2342631/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand

Graphic, 18 minute video, incident is at the very end:

2. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

The police in this country are so damn poorly trained and equipped with some of the deadliest weapons we can provide. They shouldn't be doing this kind of work at all. They show up and immediately start shooting. It's a two-fold problem, they are not trained to handle mental health problems and we have no alternative other than the police unless we decide to fund more mental health workers.

3. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN All I can do is shake my head....

The woman asked the police to help her get him to the hospital. While doing their duty, they did exactly that.

Harsh? You bet your ass. Stop blaming law enforcement for every little thing that goes wrong.

She couldn't confirm whether or not the supposed gun was fake, real or otherwise and they told her exactly how they had to proceed.

I see in this example a parent that hasn't raised her own children properly and uses the police when things get out of hand. Watch the whole clip and pay attention to everything that the woman is saying.

JohnHamilton likes this.
  4. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

Should have been in his room, wearing his hijab

5. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I can tell you exactly what gave him that impression. Everything that you guys post about the police on the web. The young man had a weapon. The mother emphasized how out of control the boy was. And he did what all his internet buddies told him to do. This boys blood is on the hands of everyone that has convinced him the police are criminals. That’s plain as the nose on your face. If I tell you over and over that snakes are bad, you will recoil at the sight of a snake..... Change your message.

JohnHamilton likes this.
  6. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

7. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

He actually did not have a weapon, for the record.

FryDaddyJr likes this.