Watcha Eatin?

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by clembo, Feb 18, 2021.

1. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

So the Weird Canned Foods thread got me wondering.
    What are YOU eating these days?

I love to cook and thanks to the internet can always find a recipe. Not that I ever follow them but they give me a starting point.

I also consider myself a rather adventurous eater. That's half the fun.

Near me I have a decent Filipino/Asian market (the Korean one closed):(, a great little Mexican market and a rather eclectic grocery store (County Market) that I can find ingredients geared more toward Soul Food and Southern. The only place I've ever seen half pig heads in the freezer section and they do occasionally have them for sale in the fliers I receive in the mail.
    I also always check the "Reduced for Quick Sale" section of my regular grocery store. Basically stuff they can't sell and I find some interesting things there cheap. Cheap is good.

Not long ago County Market had beef neck on sale so I bought some and fired up the internet machine. You cook it like oxtail. Forever basically.
    Makes a mighty fine stock but not a great deal of meat.
    Made some really good stew from it and added some beef shanks for a little more meat and even richer stock.

Next they had pork neck on sale. As is and smoked. 98 cents a pound! Tell me folks. When's the last time YOU saw pork necks that cheap?
    Granny Clampett would be all over that sale.;)

I will DEFINITELY buy those again. A fantastic stock and very meaty..

First I made a huge batch of Clembolaya. That's the clembo spin on Jambalaya.
    Pork neck stock, black beans, rice, jalapenos, serranos, tomatoes, carrots, ground cumin, garlic and I forget what else. I really should start writing these things down!
    I do remember that I finished it with the pork neck meat and cubed chicken breast.

Now I made this batch thick as I often do because I like to eat it on a large tortilla. I call them Clembolayarittos.
    I finish these off with a healthy dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce (I refer to that as Clembo catsup).
    Damn that was a fine batch of Clembolayarittos!

The smoked pork necks were so good I went back and bought more. Made another batch of stock but this time for split pea soup.
    Fairly forward soup this time.
    Split peas, onion, carrot, celery, a bouquet garni of black peppercorns and whole garlic that I dehydrated last summer, bay leaf and the neck meat. All simmered in the smoked neck stock for about 6 hours.
    Seriously folks. To me there is really no such thing as quick soup. Good soup takes time.

My newest adventure is Harissa. According to the lablel it's a Moroccan red pepper sauce.
    Found it in the Reduced for quick sale section.

A nice little kick to it. I cubed some red potatoes. Nuked the spuds to soften them up then sauteed them with some onions and mushrooms. Added some Harissa at the end and turned it all into a breakfast with ham and sunny side up eggs.
    Yummy!

I do something very similar with potatoes and Gochujang that I buy at the Asian market.
    Gochujang and spuds or rice makes a great side dish. Why not Harissa?

I liked the Harissa so much I bought another jar today. Remember, cheap is good.

Last night it was turkey chops. Those are frequently on sale at the County Market and I always have some in the freezer these days.
    So versatile.

Just pan fried them in a bit of butter. Some canned gravy on the side that I also bought cheap and got the last can at the store today.
    Nuked a few spuds and sauteed some cabbage, onions and mushrooms with cracked black pepper.
    Another yummy experience.

What's next? I'm thinking cabbage and noodles or perhaps some spaetzle.

So I ask again.

Watcha eatin?

Mopar Dude likes this.
  2. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Far too damn much! This pandemic has assaulted my waist line. My girlish figure is a distant memory. I can't wait to get out and hike again. Oh well, I lose weight as easily as I gain it. Back to the kitchen. :cool:

3. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Shoveling snow is great exercise!

Just sayin;)

4. JoeNation
    Angelic

Exercise? Your strange words have befuddled me.

5. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

That does sound tasty. I been very fortunate to have married a woman that lives to cook. And buddy, she is danged good at it too! I am fairly useless in a kitchen myself. Heck, it wasn't that long ago my wife asked me to start a pot of boiling water and boil some noodles as she was running late. I thought all was well until I was read the riot act for letting the water boil all over her stove. I now stay out of her kitchen until I am called to feed..... I did however find a new romance from a little Mexican lunch eatery close to my office. It's a custard desert called flan. Jeez man I could eat my weight in that stuff!

6. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Flan is indeed tasty stuff.

Glad your wife likes to cook.
    Mine is a good cook as well but we have totally different diets.

My take on food is that if it isn't moving it might be edible. I love to experiment as it were.
    This is why you will always find things like Kimchee, Gochujang Toasted sesame oil and a bottle of Louisiana hot saute in my fridge.

So what IS your wife feeding you?

Might give me some ideas if ya'll share.:)

Mopar Dude likes this.
  7. Mopar Dude

She is very much the southern chef and often has some grilled goodies with butter peas (butter peas are a staple in my house).... Last night was Alfredo noodles with broccoli and some super crunchy garlic parmesean bread (she makes her bread). Day before was a pot roast done all day in the crock pot. Sunday was rib eyes on the grill with potatoes that she scoops out and mixes up into a cheesy concoction and puts back into the potato shells. I married a danged good woman!

clembo likes this.
  8. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Now that's good eats.

I haven't made bread in some time but nothing beats home made bread.
    I'm going to start making my own noodles again. They're really easy but in the meantime I use Amish noodles.
    The Amish know how to cook a hearty meal.

My wife made pot roast about a week ago.
    Then she turns it into beef and noodles. We BOTH eat that one. Beef and noodles over mashed potatoes.

Loaded with carbs and I have to inject a lot more insulin for meals like that. Actually going to start a thread about living with type 1 diabetes. It can be done but requires work.

I'm going to look into butter peas now. Can't say I'm familiar with them
    Anything like black eyed peas?
    I've made Hoppin John a few times.

Thanks MD. You got me thinking and that's why I started this thread.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  9. Mopar Dude

I grew up calling them Lima beans but my wife swears that they are a different legume. What she makes is a bit smaller than a Lima and truly tastes just like melted butter.

10. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Yeah I just googled them.

Looked at a recipe for butter peas and bacon.
    I'd definitely eat that. The cook also referred to them as baby limas

I've been known to eat a bowl of boiled limas with nothing but butter and salt.
    Quite tasty and the beans at least are really good for you.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  11. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Maybe I should start a recipe thread but would anyone respond? Doesn't have to be your recipes as your significant others would do.

Anyway, I sleep and therefore eat weird hours.

Getting ready to eat some dinner. Leftovers as it were.

I marinated some very thinly sliced chicken breat in ranch dressing, garlic powder, sesame oil and the juice of 1 lime.

This will be paired with the refried beans that I added sautéed onions to and sprinkled with ground Serrano pepper that I dehydrated and ground myself.

There will also be rice that I cooked in chicken stock with some dried thyme added.

All on corn tortillas.

Yum! Time to calculate the carbs, medicate and enjoy.

Clembo's creating again.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  12. JoeNation
    Angelic

I finally tried Walburgers. I guess technically not the burgers but the beyond beef burgers. They are damn good. As a vegetarian, I still like the taste of meat and the smell of bacon but I don't need all the crap that comes with eating animals. Now that we have tasty substitutes for meat, I find it easy to go meatless.

13. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Vegetarian AND Atheist.

Typical liberal.
    :rolleyes:

14. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

15. JoeNation
    Angelic

Yeah, thinking for myself and all that. How rude.

16. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Been gone for a few days.

Computer took a dump and required a new hard drive but that hasn't affected my appetite.:)

Later tonight it's chicken and noodles which will invariably turn more into a stew than a soup.
    A great deal on chicken got this going.

I'll fill you in later and I'm going to start a cooking/recipe thread.

Till then it's leftover sloppy Joes clembo style and a long nap.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  17. FryDaddyJr

you're eating too much meat and it's killing you

18. Mopar Dude

He is happy and that is what is important. Stop judging.

19. Mopar Dude

You need to hush about food. I have developed some weird intestinal infection and have been on a "bland" diet until next week when they go searching for the problem... Bleecchhh.... Not a journey that I would want to take!

20. FryDaddyJr

[​IMG]