Wis. GOP strips public workers' bargaining rights

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Moen1305, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

This Governor has crossed the line into dictatorship. He is out of control. In my opinion, if violence is EVER justified, this guy should be tarred and feathered and run out of the state on a rail. The ends do not justify the means except to idealogues. This guy is toast!

MADISON, Wis. — Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate voted Wednesday night to strip nearly all collective bargaining rights from public workers after discovering a way to bypass the chamber's missing Democrats.
    All 14 Senate Democrats fled to Illinois nearly three weeks ago, preventing the chamber from having enough members present to consider Gov. Scott Walker's so-called "budget repair bill" — a proposal introduced to plug a $137 million budget shortfall.
    The Senate requires a quorum to take up any measures that spend money. But Republicans on Wednesday split from the legislation the proposal to curtail union rights, which spends no money, and a special conference committee of state lawmakers approved the bill a short time later.
    The lone Democrat present on the conference committee, Rep. Tony Barca, shouted that the surprise meeting was a violation of the state's open meetings law but Republicans voted over his objections. The Senate then convened within minutes and passed it without discussion or debate.
    Spectators in the gallery screamed "You are cowards."
    Before the sudden votes, Democratic Sens. Bob Jauch said if Republicans "chose to ram this bill through in this fashion, it will be to their political peril. They're changing the rules. They will inflame a very frustrated public."

2. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC Donald Trump For President In 2020

Oooooooh... I'd never call for violence. I'm shocked, Moen!

3. David

David Proud Enemy of Hillary

I guess the Dims should have been manning the posts they were elected to, huh?

4. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

I think when you have a dictator like Walker who is exactly what the founding fathers feared may happen in this country, even they recognized that there is a time for violence. Do you really approve of his methods? Seriously? I thought the Right was against tyrants?

If I lived in Wisconsin, I'd burn down the capitol building since it doesn't seem to belong to the people of Wisconsin anyway. Their voices have been ignored. They have been lied to repeatedly. And they have been sold out to special interests. Frankly, what would they have to lose by torching the place. I think you are going to see a lot of violence in Wisconsin tonight and I think it is justified.

5. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

Perhaps you haven't heard what the Republicans did in Michigan. They can declare any city or town in a fiscal crisis and fire the mayor, the city council, and any police, fireman, or other city worker contracts null and void. When you have people that are nullifying local elections, do we really have a democracy anymore? I think we have the Soviet States of America. You may never see another Republican elected in this country again. A lot of people, working people, are extremely pissed off right now.

6. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

Calling for violence (tarring and feathering, burning the Capitol, torching the place) is never the answer. I vehemently disagree with you. The political process has played out in much the same way the Democrats rammed healthcare down the country's throat so in that regard I don't see much difference. It appears the governor and the senate did everything legally, so there's really not much to say. If Wisconsinites were wise, they wouldn't resort to violence (I hope they don't). If they don't like the circumstances then they should try to use legal means to get rid of the governor and senators (just like the voters did with the Democrats last November).

7. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

God, you have a selectively convenient memory. Fortunately for you and I, I don't. The health care LAW has 100's of provisions in it Republicans asked for and doesn't contain a public option specifically because Republicans were against it. And then they voted against it anyway.
    How is that remotely similar to Walker and the rest of the Republicans in Wisconsin passing bills in the middle of the night in the House and illegally passing it again in the Senate without a quorum, without the proper notice (even as noted by the Rep, Attny General), and doing it all behind closed doors with no debate? Walker didn't run on the issue of eliminating collective bargaining. And admitted to a fake special interest contributor that union busting was a priority for him and his fellow Republican governors. Once again, Republicans set the bar as low as possible and force Democrats to be the grown-ups.

You must be so proud of your party right now.

8. David

Violence is the answer, dr moen?

9. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I seem to remember something about "reconciliation".. ah, yes:

Reconciliation is a legislative process of the United States Senate intended to allow consideration of a contentious budget bill with debate limited to twenty hours under Senate Rules.

The Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111-152, 124 Stat. 1029) is a law that was enacted by the 111th United States Congress, by means of the reconciliation process, in order to amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Pub.L. 111-148). It was signed into law by President Barack Obama on March 30, 2010.

By the end of 2009, separate health care reform bills had been passed by both houses of Congress. The Senate bill, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, became the most viable avenue to reform following the death of Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy and his replacement by Republican Scott Brown. Lacking a filibuster-proof supermajority in the Senate, the Obama administration and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi began encouraging the House to pass an amended version of the Senate bill using the reconciliation process.

Of course in February, 2010 Al Franken was referenced saying, "Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn) called on Friday for Senate Democrats to commit to passing amendments to its health care legislation through the process of reconciliation -- so that the House can then pass legislation of its own. "If we in the Senate pledge to fix those top priorities right away through reconciliation ... the House of Representatives should pass the Senate bill," he said. "The exact details of this process need to be worked out by the leadership and the president."

If Scott Walker and the senators did everything legally (and it appears they did), what's the problem?

10. arizonaJack

arizonaJack Well-Known Member

The left is coming unglued. Showing their true, violent colors. Perhaps if the fleebagger dems had stayed and done the job they were elected to do, a compromise could have been worked.
    Now, watch the left have a tantrum.......I'm getting a cold beer and some popcorn ;)

11. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

Indeed, Jack. Whether or not the left actually liked Walker's actions, I think they have to admire him for sticking to his principles. At the risk of his own popularity in an extremely liberal state, he took on the unions and that's no easy task. The guy is admirable for following through and not just thinking of his own political future. It's like a breath of fresh air!

On an even more serious note, the left really needs to stop talking of violence. Once talk of violence begins, any credibility of their argument goes flying out the window.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Clown Hater

How is Walker shoving his agenda down the throats of the people of Wisconsin any different than Obama shoving his agenda down the throats of the people of the US. Both guys were legally elected and used a majority of their political party to pass legislation. It is not illegal to take away the collective bargaining rights of public employees but two federal judges have declared Obamacare unconstitutional.

What I see is that it is okay as long as it benefits the Democrats. If the Republicans do it, democracy has been jeopardized according to you. You and your whole party are a joke. And now the people who opposed every war in history including the ones they voted for (Iraq) are calling for violence.

Furthermore, why are those 14 people still employed? I know I can't walk off my job for three weeks and just return whenever the hell I feel like it. What they should have done was passed legislation saying that if an elected official is gone for more than a week without a medical explanation that they forfeit the elected office. Then fired all 14, then passed the legislation.

13. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

On a good note, recall petitions are being formed against the cowardly Democrats who fled the state. With any luck, they'll be out of office in no time.

14. David

Heck, all this criticism has been heaped on Walker but it's the 14 dims who are polluting the process. Who are they to hold up the business of the entire state with such cowardly, un-democratic tactics?

15. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

Jack, to put it bluntly, you're full of it. If your elections are being nullified because Republicans can trump up a fisdcal crisis by handing huge tax breaks to corporations, then democracy has been tossed out the window and that is OK with you? I used to think that you guys believed in representative government but you seem content to wallow in the glow of a Right wing power grab. Just be careful what you awaken.

16. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

Do you understand the difference between sticking to principles that are extremely stupid verses sticking to principles that actually demonstration moral values? Apparently not! In other words, if a serial killer sticks to his principles even though his principles are to kill people randomly, by your logic, we should admire him for having principles. I’m sure that the Communists had principles. The Nazi’s had principles. The Khmer Rouge had principles. Nixon thought that the ends justified the means too. Selling democracy to the highest bidder is no principle I can respect.

17. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

It's just as easy to turn that around and say if you objected to the methods in the first place, how come they are OK when it is a Republican? You make a stupid argument and refuse to see your own hypocrisy. TYPICAL!

18. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

I hope Republican waste their time on that. Have you seen the polls in Wisconsin? Fat chance of that recall ever getting off the ground. On the other hand, I think the 8 Republican senators all all toast after last night.

19. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

Democracy is alive and well in Wisconsin as witnessed by the actions of the governor and the senate. Just because you think something is "extremely stupid" doesn't mean they didn't stick to their principles. Had the governor given in on this issue, I can hear you now saying something to the effect of "Hooray, I got what I wanted and proved that the governor is unprincipled, too"! Don't be a crybaby.

20. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

OK.. whatever.