Wow, Something hit me today folks, we should al be thankfull

Discussion in 'Politics' started by arizonaJack, Mar 14, 2011.

1. arizonaJack

arizonaJack Well-Known Member

I was riding my bike to 7-11.
    It just happened to me. I have a warm home, I have electricity, a refridgerator, cold clean water, my bed is warm, my clothes are clean. I ate today.Good food of my choosing. I will watch a television show and be entertained and comfortable.
    How lucky we are to be Americans........

2. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC Donald Trump For President In 2020

Well put, Jack... well put, indeed....

3. craig a

craig a New Member

I guess those who dont have all those things in such a well developed country are still grateful with what they do have. Their location on this planet has little to do with it.

4. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

It's always nice to be grateful for what you have but I have never really thought much about the material things I have for any length of time. The intangibles such as family, good friends and good health are the things I have always been grateful for. I could easily give up everything else as long as I could keep the intangibles.

5. angie828

angie828 New Member

Yes we are very lucky to be Americans. I consider myself lucky all the time.

6. craig a

craig a New Member

If you were born in ..lets say France. Would you not be saying you are very lucky to be French? Or would you be regretting it and constantly wishing you were an American? Just wondering.

7. CoinOKC
    Yeehaw

CoinOKC Donald Trump For President In 2020

Every Frenchman secretly wishes he had been born an American...

8. David

David Proud Enemy of Hillary

Damn right I wake up every morning thankful that I was born in America. There isn't a place on earth that provides the same opportunity to accomplish what you want to accomplish or be what you want to be....and the rest of the world knows it .

9. craig a

craig a New Member

But wouldnt you feel that chest inflating pride with any country in which you were born?

10. craig a

craig a New Member

How clever you must feel. Your two cents is noted.

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Clown Hater

Having pride in your country is not the same as feeling lucky about your nationality. While you give the example of a democratic country like France, most citizens of third world countries with totalitarian regimes probably don't consider themselves lucky.

12. craig a

craig a New Member

Do you think they mope around with regret in much the same way as this thread was meant to bring out feelings of luck for living here?

13. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

For the most part I am proud to be British but not allways Sometimes you find the attitudes and actions of your own people can shame you but I am happy to say they are in a very small minority

14. Moen1305

Moen1305 Not Republican!

And a bike!

15. craig a

craig a New Member

Do you feel misfortune because you arent an American?

16. craig a

craig a New Member

I gave an example of a developed nation because that what America is. I just dont think that people of other nations on the same level as America feeling short-changed because they werent born here.

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Clown Hater

So how many nations do you consider on the same level as America? What about countries like Poland, Croatia, and Russia?

18. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Not in the least Craig

19. craig a

craig a New Member

As De Orc stated, he doesn't feel unlucky because he isn't an American. I don't know much about Croatia. But the other two certainly have some opportunities for its citizens. But if you are talking in monetary terms, then those are surely limited. I mean there must be some doctors and dentists and chefs and etc. in those countries that aren't descendants of nobility. Norway is a pretty cool place. I bet Norwegians don't feel short-changed because they weren't born an American. I'm just saying if you were born in Norway(not Somalia)I doubt you'd be sitting at home with the barrel of a revolver under your chin because you weren't born in Cleveland

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Clown Hater

Craig,

I am not claiming that citizens of other civilized countries are suicidal about the realization that they are not American. In fact, I would expect most citizens of every nation to show a high level of genuine national pride. This pride is most evident to us during international sporting competitions like the Olympics and World Cup. Having said that, there is certainly a level of envy that exists in most nations about the opportunities that exist in the United States. I have had Polish, Russian, and Croatian college students work for me in the summers under the J-1 program for years. After speaking with many of these college students at length, I have no choice but to appreciate the opportunities that this country provides it's citizens.

Can you even imagine an American college student travelling to foreign country during the summer break and working 80-100 hours per week? And other than the one kid who decided to steal a valet car and take it for a joy ride, the J-1 students are some of the best employees I have ever had the privilege to supervise. I know of at least three of these students who are female and have married in order to stay in the United States.

And while some members of this forum do not think that personal experience has any value, I place great value in my life experience, and my experience in this area has taught me to appreciate the opportunities that exist in this country. I don't know the motive behind the OP posting this thread, but every time I turn on the news, I am left thinking "Thank God I don't liver there" about a whole bunch of countries in the world.

And while I don't really include you in the radical left wing members of this forum, it seems to me that the leftists here are completely unhappy with the state of affairs in this great nation and don't at all appreciate the benefits inherent in being American. In your case, I think you understand very well what I am talking about, but derive pleasure playing devil's advocate on the issue.

And as far as the British are concerned, I have never met a Brit who ever wanted to be anything else other than British. They have extreme pride in their country and traditions, so much so that they won't even admit that their native cuisine is terrible.

Paul