Your Tax Dollars At Work

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by Mopar Dude, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I been servicing commercial construction to one degree or another for thirty years. For most all of my career the goal to winning work was to offer responsible bids that met the letter of the architects specification at a cost effective price point and having the reputation to get the job done when it was expected to be done. That is what I have known and worked to build my entire career in this field. I bid to win.

My business is currently working a project to renovate the stadium of a college football team in the state. I won't say any names, but they have won two national titles here in the 21st century. In the overall scheme of things, the magnitude of the work isn't that substantial, however to my little company it is a very high profile project. We have been working this thing hard for months.

Now in years past, I would be a subcontractor to a general contractor that was under contract by the building owner..... On this project, there are two construction managers, one general contractor, and one prime subcontractor... That makes me a fourth tier subcontractor..... Why is this relevant? Because three of those levels are in place to meet federal mandates. Nothing else. Mind you, none of them are working for free. What one general contractor could accomplish five years ago now takes three to meet mandated guidelines. And guess who pays for all that?

And here's whats really disturbing to me at my level. I am by far the most qualified in my state to accomplish the work. However this contract isn't based upon my bid price and ability as much as it will be based upon my ability to meet mandated requirements.... How many minorities will I use, how many women, disabled veterans, etc.... And because I have not been a business deeply rooted in playing the political architecture that now exists in commercial construction, I fear I may lose this bid. No longer are your tax dollars being spent with the most qualified and cost effective builders. They are spent with multiple contractors put in place to meet federal standards. And I am just about fed up with it all.

So next time your community needs an elementary school or something similar built, just know the cost will exceed the budget which will show up on your ballot the following November as a tax increase so the community can afford the new school or whatever facility may be needed. Remember this when your community votes for the next tax increase. It is only there to pay for all the added fat put in place by the left.

CoinOKC, ddddd and Profiler like this.
  2. ddddd

ddddd Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it's been this way for a while. Your state is better than mine (Illinois). Here, especially Chicagoland, it's second nature. Every time I see road construction, school construction, pools, etc. I just shake my head in disgust. And the people here happily vote for it every time too! Some of them have the fancy tax appeal lawyers who will find a way to lower their property taxes at the expense of everyone else (oh and those appeal lawyers are often working for firms started by the same politicians that pass the tax hikes).

Mopar Dude likes this.
  3. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

Liberals claim they want everyone to be equal, but something that consistently evades their comprehension is that, for every slacker who wants to work less, or less hard, that slack must be taken up by someone who is willing to work more, or harder.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  4. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

And that person that keeps working harder is me. I just finished church and am changing to go to work. I have women, minorities and veterans in my office. But because I chose to do business on what I considered to be a fair and level field, I have chosen not to pursue those political perks to my trade. My standards are apparently higher than my need to earn a living for myself and those that work hard for me. It makes me sick.

ddddd and toughcoins like this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Active Member

A 70+ Mil. project was undertaken in my town to reduce traffic congestion and accidents when a traffic light would have sufficed. :confused::mad::rolleyes:

Mopar Dude likes this.
  6. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

In short, they don't mind if we work more or work harder to improve our lives and those around us, just as long as what we do improves their lives too. Through their refusal to carry their own weight, and via inequitable taxation they've made us slaves to their sloth.

Flat tax for all, I say! If they don't get to pay lower tax rates on benefits and lesser incomes, they're more likely to push themselves the way that we do instead of doing the minimum.

Mopar Dude likes this.