Gardening~Gotta Green Thumb?

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by clembo, Feb 26, 2021.

1. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

THE KIA GREENHOUSE
    I've got a dead Kia Sorento in the driveway which will eventually be sold as scrap. Fixing it would cost more than I paid for it.

In the meantime it's a great greenhouse for starting plants.

I've got tomato and pepper plants started now. Going to put a sign up and sell them.

Why not?

2. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

No, I don't think there is a sunflower category. Besides, these are hybrids.

3. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Three different types of lettuce are growing in the file cabinet.
    I planted red onions in two of the drawers and started seeds in another large bin. Lima beans and snow peas.
    The lettuce and radishes are up in the other large bin.

As I stated in the dumpster thread I hope to begin working on my next project. Another raised bed of course.
    I have room for a 6x 3-1/2 foot bed. All made from salvaged wood.

Next question is what to do with all of my five gallon buckets that are ready to go. I planted green beans in four containers yesterday but have about 30 more.

What a problem to have.;)

4. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

How about an update on the hillbilly garden furnished in large part by dumpster diving?

The "filing cabinet o food" now has green onions and beets doing nicely. The red onions are up in two of the drawers and I've completed two more raised beds.
    Put basil and thyme plants in the other cabinet drawers. Those will be devoted to herbs.

I'd post pictures but the file was too large.:(

5. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

I have some chives that survived the winter. I need to make a permanent patch somewhere

6. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Chives will survive a nuclear blast. Cockroaches of the plant world.
    We've had the same plant for 30 year, have given away clumps. Weeds that happen to taste pretty damn good.

7. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

So how's that garden? Mine's been slow but these latest rains should set things into overdrive

8. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

Radishes are all picked and eaten.
    Bok choy bolted but I salvaged what I could.

Been eating a lot of leaf lettuce the past few days straight from the filing cabinet o food. Been eating snow peas as well.

My first pepper got picked yesterday but not by me. A large limb fell on the pepper bed. May have lost one serrano plant. Had to get the chainsaw out for the limb.
    It was a garden salsa variety and quite tasty in a burger. Sorry, wasn't a veggie burger.:eek:

I ended up with 20 tomato plants and 25 pepper plants. Don't ask me how but I've got some blooms on a few tomato plants as well as my wax beans.

Neighbor gave me some broccoli and cauliflower plants so those are going too.
    Kale is doing well as are the carrots and all herbs.

Herbs now include parsley, rosemary, thyme, oregano, dill, marjoram and sage. Sage is going bonkers.

I did end up planting zukes and cukes. Both types doing well.

So thanks for asking. We've had at least 3 inches of rain in the past 48 with more on the way. I'd say the drought has ended.