God Existence, Proven Yet?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by freshmeat, Feb 3, 2014.

1. IQless1
    Blah

IQless1 trump supporters are scum

Those who believe in an "otherworldly" god or gods can't prove that those gods exist. By the same token, those who don't believe in any "otherworldly" god can't prove any of them don't exist..

*"otherworldly" is used here to indicate something that is beyond our capabilities to physically sense (sight, hearing, taste, etc.), and not any "sixth" sense. The "sixth" sense is believed to be the only means of sensing "otherwordly" things.

2. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

IQ nailed it.

I can't say there is or isn't a God. Or maybe even Gods.

I CAN say there are religions. Religions cause a lot of problems and always have.

Prove me wrong on that. You can't.

In a supposed "Christian nation" I consider very few what they would define as "Christian".

They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

3. freshmeat

freshmeat Can't touch this

You might need to rescan the Treaty of Tripoli where the real statement was made, only the Twit made the claim "Christian nation" as some sort of idiotic response to 911.

[​IMG]

4. Guy Medley

Guy Medley Well-Known Member

As I'm sure my avatar here suggests, I do not believe in a magical, vengeful man in the sky. But, I have no issue with those who do believe, and live as hypocrites while looking down on people like myself who don't need a spiritual crutch to motivate their days. Sure, thats a cynical outlook...but thats how organized religion has forced me to see the world.

5. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

Actually, I was never able to make out the tea pot before you mentioned it. Hey fellow Dawkins adherent! :D

6. Guy Medley

Guy Medley Well-Known Member

Yeah, most people have no idea what Russell's Teapot is, and when you try to explain it to them they're like, "preposterous!" I have to laugh every time.

7. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

I believe in the tea pot but not nearly as much as I believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If anyone says different, I will bring such a smite down on. ;)

8. MJuingong

MJuingong New Member

We can never actually prove the existence of God; we can only show a stronger likelihood of existence than non-existence. There will always be a reasonable doubt.

And that is another point. The only reason priests are forbidden to marry is because the church didn't want the wife to end up with her husband's assets when he died. The church wanted those. They created this problem for money.