To what degree do you think this is true?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, Feb 26, 2021.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

Bootstrap memes....GIT yer BOOTSTRAP MEMES HERE

2. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

I'll address both posts in a collective response. Having a tough upbringing is a pretty common story. It says something about the country we live in. That women are forced to raise children on their own after being abandoned by their spouses is nothing short of criminal. It should not be allowed in any country but then again how are you going to solve that problem? No law seems to solve the issue and we have millions of kids growing up in these awful conditions through no fault of their own. We are who we are and we tend to blame the victims in this country and double hurt the innocent kids. We should know better.

I could lay your upbringing stories bare with my own. It still hurts a little to even remember how I was raised. 9 kids, an alcoholic mom, a workaholic dad, home foreclosures, physical abuse, a gambling addiction, and no money for anything. I started stealing and shoplifting, and pedaling what I had illegally obtained, and was headed down a dark road. Yeah, pretty much the usual story. Nobody was watching me and I kind of raised myself. What were my choices? The alcoholic or the abusive father? I chose neither.

What I chose was neither forgiveness or the downward spiral. When I turned 18, I decided all that had happened before that point was may parents fault. What I did from there on was on me. I left home, took a few jobs in factories and when the 1980 recession hit, I didn't collapse because I couldn't find a job, I went to college until the recession was over. I chose to use my parents as a example of what not to do and it has served me well. I wanted to be the best dad I could be. I ended up being both the best dad I could be and the best mom I could be. I wasn't perfect. No one is. But I made damn sure that my kids had the best loving parents they could have. They turned out to be wonderful people. I don't credit myself so much as I credit breaking the cycle of abuse, neglect, the other aspects of my childhood that I refused to allow into my own family.

Today, I can relate pretty well to impoverished families, wealthy families, and any other kind of family without feeling the need to bring my upbringing into their situations. I try to meet people where they are, not where I think they should be. That is how I approach needy people. They are me or what I could have been. I don't envy the wealthy and I don't resent the poor. They all matter.

toughcoins and Mopar Dude like this.
  3. FryDaddyJr

struggling and suffering build character. to deny that to someone is tyranny.

4. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

And I say your sarcastic response blurs the lines between deserving help and not, and belies a willful tolerance of the cheating of a system intended to benefit only the truly needy.

That begs the question . . . are you cheating the system FD? Do you somehow benefit when you should not? If not you, a relative perhaps, or a close friend?

5. FryDaddyJr

No, I don't receive any benefits. I also haven't called in sick in 13 years. I'm just not a pinch nosed rubber lipped fool like you are.

6. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

I'll take a pinched nose over your pinched brain any day . . .